New to brewing in NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickfrothingham

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've picked up this new hobby pretty recently and am moving quickly down the road to obsession... bottled my first beer at the beginning of November, brewing my 4th tomorrow night.

I live in Monmouth Beach NJ, and buy most of my ingredients at the brewer's apprentice in Freehold. Anyone else go there much?

Welcome..I am getting started myself, was at the Brew App Friday evening, needed Star San (he was out, will go back next weekend).

I like brewers apprentice a lot so far, they've had a lot of great advice and were really knowledgeable. Some of the younger guys don't have a ton of experience, but there's a guy who's a bit older with sideburns that's always helped me out. From what i've seen they have really fair prices as well.

I tend to frown upon any homebrew shop that doesn't keep a supply of starsan. It's like running out of malt extract. They really need to figure out how to stock more of everything while not infringing on their lifeblood brew on prem business.

You can get your advice from HBT and supplies from brewmaster's warehouse and all the other fine online shops.

I suppose that's true; i'm still working off a big jug of StarSan I had ordered online a while ago and hadn't noticed. One thing I couldn't get from HBT, I brought in a couple bottles of my first brews (which they were more than willing to sample) so that they could give me advice on how to tweak, which I appreciated a lot. I did also check out Home Sweet Homebrew in Philadelphia this weekend and was shocked at how much higher their prices were (4 bucks an ounce for hops, 20 bucks for 4 pound cans of LME).

I suppose that's true; i'm still working off a big jug of StarSan I had ordered online a while ago and hadn't noticed. One thing I couldn't get from HBT, I brought in a couple bottles of my first brews (which they were more than willing to sample) so that they could give me advice on how to tweak, which I appreciated a lot. I did also check out Home Sweet Homebrew in Philadelphia this weekend and was shocked at how much higher their prices were (4 bucks an ounce for hops, 20 bucks for 4 pound cans of LME).

I'll give you that on the pricing. That's also a good reason to avoid Corrado's up in North Jersey. As far as local shops are concerned, Brewapp is reasonable. The best way to get feedback on your brews is to send them to competitions because you're not getting "nice" reviews. I heard a while back that Brewapp was trying to start a homebrew club. That opens things up to more sampling and critique also.

Welcome..I am getting started myself, was at the Brew App Friday evening, needed Star San (he was out, will go back next weekend).

Ha! I'll bet you I bought the last one, but that was several weeks ago...

I tend to frown upon any homebrew shop that doesn't keep a supply of starsan.

I tend to agree with the idea that it is pretty bad that they didn't have this (especially if I really did buy the last one weeks ago) however, in defense of Brewer's Apprentice, they have always had anything I need in stock. In addition, they have always been extremely helpful and their employees do really seem to know their stuff. Prices are extremely fair as well, in line with most of the online shops, as far as I can tell. If you live close enough the trip is worth it, despite their current lack of sanitizer.

You could always use bleach in the meantime...cheap and always in stock practically everywhere!

Just my nickel minus three...

Yeah I agree, if I didn't live 35 minutes away, I'd go more often. I just like when UPS drops my supplies off. Less time driving, more time brewing. One of the guys in my club was just complaining that they were out of starsan, they told him they'd have more the following week. He went first thing two weeks later, oops, sold out again. What do they order, two bottles at a time?

Yeah I agree, if I didn't live 35 minutes away, I'd go more often. I just like when UPS drops my supplies off. Less time driving, more time brewing. One of the guys in my club was just complaining that they were out of starsan, they told him they'd have more the following week. He went first thing two weeks later, oops, sold out again. What do they order, two bottles at a time?

Eh, I don't mind the distance really...sometimes I just have to have that immediate gratification that only comes from a trip to the LHBS...Although someone ought to open one up in the New Brunswick area already...

You know, they really might only order two bottles at a time...for several visits in a row I had seen the same two bottles...then just one...then I bought that one...I guess it couldn't hurt for someone to bring it to their attention...I believe the owner is usually there on Saturdays...

Oh, and to rickfrothingham: Welcome to the madness!

Welcome Jersey, ditto on the bleach, that's all I use. You will get most of your questions answered in depth with a search of this board, there's a lot of knowledgeable people here. Rob at Brewers knows his stuff, especially all grain. If you need something special at Brewers, certain grains, liquid yeast, call first. They put there orders in on Monday morning and have it in a couple of days.

The guy behind the counter in Brew App was pretty apologetic, said that's the first time they've ever run out of Star San. He told me he actually has a 2nd vendor bringing it in this week, unless I understood wrong but it seemed like there may have been a screwup with a deilvery. I like the idea of having someone to throw a few questions at while I'm at the store if the need comes up.

Corrado's was actually the first place I went to, granted I'm new but I found them to be both pricey and not helpful at all, limited stock (and I only use extract and DME) , will not be making a return trip. When I asked a question to one of the people there I got a look of "What you don't know?".

Lately I've been using U-Brew, Homebrew shop located upstairs from the Gaslight Brewpub in South Orange.

Thanks for all the welcome comments!

I live in Monmouth Beach but my office is in Eatontown, about 20 minutes from BrewApp, which makes it pretty convenient for after-work . I've used the online stores for a few standard commodities like starsan and spare DME for starters, but I typically plan my brew nights on too short of notice for online ordering.

I've found BrewApp to be pretty good, any other suggestions for places in the area? I certainly won't be going back to Home Sweet Homebrew though because of those astronomical prices.

Back