new to brewing, going all out.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanpace

Reaction score
Well, I've always wanted to brew beer.. been making wine for the past 2 years and just never got around to the brewing process until now.

Although I have never brewed a single batch of beer, I thought I'd go all out instead of slowly working my way up from extract to all grain.

So over the past 4 months I've been slowly adquiring exquipment and building a set up like the "Brutus Ten" (I ordered the instructions from his website http://www.alenuts.com/brutus.htm)
however I modified it in a few ways to fit my needs.

I will be brewing with 25 gallon kettles and then fermenting in a stainless conical fermenter.

Everything is not complete yet, I am still waiting on various parts to arrive so I can start brewing.

(I do have a friend that is an experienced AG brewer, so maybe I wont totally destroy my first batch)

Here is a pic of the set-up so far.
brewery.jpg

anyone is welcome to brew with me, I'm sure I will need the help. hehe

Niiiiiiice... similar to what I've got going. Progress has been very slow for me the past few months, but getting on it soon. I've got the same kettles as you.

PICT1332.jpg

Good luck with that monster!!!

jordanpace said:

That looks EXACTLY like my setup, except replace what you've got with a bathtub, a roll od duct tape and some bailing wire.

Suffice it to say, my rig would look like that if I didn't work, or have small children, or a mortgage, or constant remodeling projects,...or financial restrictions of any kind...

Pretty Effin' sweet!

jordanpace said:
Well, I've always wanted to brew beer.. been making wine for the past 2 years and just never got around to the brewing process until now.

Although I have never brewed a single batch of beer, I thought I'd go all out instead of slowly working my way up from extract to all grain.

So over the past 4 months I've been slowly adquiring exquipment and building a set up like the "Brutus Ten" (I ordered the instructions from his website http://www.alenuts.com/brutus.htm)
however I modified it in a few ways to fit my needs.

I will be brewing with 25 gallon kettles and then fermenting in a stainless conical fermenter.

Everything is not complete yet, I am still waiting on various parts to arrive so I can start brewing.

(I do have a friend that is an experienced AG brewer, so maybe I wont totally destroy my first batch)

Here is a pic of the set-up so far.
QUOTE]

How are you planning on controlling ferment temp with your conicle? Besides the cost temp controllfor those huge things is my problem.

How are you planning on controlling ferment temp with your conicle? Besides the cost temp controllfor those huge things is my problem.

I have a small room that is temperature controlled in my garage (AC during summer/small heater during winter) and I keep it around 65F.

You are my HERO!

I used to think I tended to jump right into things, but you have me beat by a mile.

That things is 'effin awesome!

Did you have to modify the plans to fit the larger kettle? That may have to be my next rig.

I did have to modify the plans a little to accomadate the larger kettles.

I have a little bit of experience in welding and fabricating things (use to have a few 78 model 4x4 fords) So I guess that helped out too.

I think my first batch is just going to be something of a test really.
I have a few 5 gallon AG batches that I bought a while back and I thought of just adding in some oat flakes to accomadte for the other 10 gallons and brewing that..lol. I dont want to really mess up a nice beer.

But then again having a friend who is an experienced AG brewer I might just go all out and brew something like a northern english style brown ale.

DAMN!!!! Thats about all that I have to say! I just want to know what you do for a living and are they hiring? You must not have a SWMBO :)

When i grow up I want to be you.

Seriously though that is a great set up.

Nice equipment, I am working toward the same end result but steam heated mashtun so I can do temperature steps easily. I do have the conical and am ready for 20 gallon batches. I am going to use a 1/2 in stainless coil in the conical which will go through the lid and have self closing connectors to the coolant lines. I will have a glycol tank in a freezer and a submersable pump and controller that will pump the glycol to maintain ferment temp. Another brewer near me has this setup and it works great. It's not insulated either but I will construct an insulated cover for the tank for my setup. I make great beers now but want to stop all the lifting I have to do.

dataz722 said:
DAMN!!!! Thats about all that I have to say! I just want to know what you do for a living and are they hiring? You must not have a SWMBO :)

I am actually a normal college student (trying to grad.) living out of his mothers house at the moment... lol

Instead of using my pay checks to pay rent or possible blowing it on a SWMBO, I just save it and ultimately blow it on different projects. However I believe this project will actually pay off in the long run :mug:

WBC said:
Nice equipment, I am working toward the same end result but steam heated mashtun so I can do temperature steps easily. I do have the conical and am ready for 20 gallon batches. I am going to use a 1/2 in stainless coil in the conical which will go through the lid and have self closing connectors to the coolant lines. I will have a glycol tank in a freezer and a submersable pump and controller that will pump the glycol to maintain ferment temp. Another brewer near me has this setup and it works great. It's not insulated either but I will construct an insulated cover for the tank for my setup. I make great beers now but want to stop all the lifting I have to do.

That sounds pretty awesome, I would actually like to consider doing something like that down road.

Back