New to Brewing and need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utbrew

Reaction score
Hi,
I am brand new to brewing and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I need to get started(ie equipment ect).

Also a lot of what I have been reading is that most people use extracts instead of fresh hops. Is it too difficult to start from scratch.

I would search for Equipment on here. I'm sure there's a writeup somewhere.

Extract is Malt Extract, in place of actual grains. Most people start out doing Extract beers. Hops are still used. Pellet hops are the most common, some use leaf hops. It is not too difficult to start from scratch (All Grain) IF you read up on the process and everything that is involved and you feel comfortable about it. I started out doing All Grain and never had a problem. All Grain requires a little bit more equipment, but the ingredients are cheaper.

Welcome to HBT!
You came to the right place for advice, you'll get advice every way from Sunday on here. On the top of this forum is a bunch of stickies you might find helpful.

Most folks have their own favorite home brew shop so you can get many opinions on equipment kit. Mostly they are pretty similar but this is the one I recommend Brewing Intermediate Kit w/ Two 5 Gallon Better Bottles :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies if you can afford it. If you are going for something a little cheaper, that is doable too.

How to Brew - By John Palmer is a great read for learning beer brewing.

Welcome to HBT, I am relatively new also and have about 12 extract brews under my belt. All of them have had hops pellets in them. There is nothing tricky about adding it aside from the occasional boil-over. As for equipment I started with a kit that cost me $100 and purchased a $35 extract kit from my LHBS and in about 8 weeks I had a decent stout. Good luck

Cheers....:mug:

Good advice. Personally I'd suggest starting with extract the first go-round. You can do partial on the second and ramp up to all-grain by your third, or you can take it easy and go slow. This way you can concentrate on one small new part of the process each time. But there's nothing wrong with jumping in and doing it all at once. ;)

Doing it from "scratch" (meaning bags of grain rather than a malt extract syrup) isn't hard, but it does take a few extra hours and some extra equipment. You'll save money in the long run, but it's a bigger initial investment. From what I've seen the vast majority of all-grain equipment is easy to build but expensive to buy, so doing an extract brew while building a lauter tun is a wise choice to me...

I would recommend reading through the online version of John Palmer's book "How to Brew". Then I would recommend going to Austin Homebrew Supply (on Burnet near Anderson) and talking to them. They have everything that you need and will answer every one of your questions. Then, when you have the gist of things, come back on here and ask specific questions. We will be happy to help, but I think that you could get some more mileage, at least initially, out of researching and going to AHS.

Eric

Thanks for all of your advice. I am about to start reading John Palmer's book and then after that look into getting my equipment so I can start my brewing. Once again thanks and I will keep you updated on my brews.

Pete

Welcome to the obsession! You can spend hours and hours reading through the stickies and popular posts on this forum (HBT) and learn a ton. Most importantly, have fun!

Eric

Thanks for all of your advice. I am about to start reading John Palmer's book and then after that look into getting my equipment so I can start my brewing. Once again thanks and I will keep you updated on my brews.

Pete

get equipment so that you can do full boils, you wont regret it :D

Seeing how many austin people are in this thread we should get together and brew a big batch.

Back