New to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishothesherif

Reaction score
hello everyone. Im new to the all grain brewing process. Ive run two batches so far and both have been a little cloudy. the amount of sediment left at the bottom was very minimal for the second batch ( an Irish red ale) but the beer still looks like a dark brown and cloudy in the carboy. the first batch i make was an ipa that i got the recipe from the Duclaw brewery it was kinda clear but could not see through it, it was also very hoppy which i know an ipa should be, but it was almost a bitter taste.

here is a pic of my setup.

I use the turkey fryer as my sparge water vessel. it has a spigot so i can release the hot water into the mash tun ( orange cooler) as needed. I conduct the mash by letting abut 3 gallons of 170 degree water into the mash tun then add about 10 pounds of grains. i stir abut every 20 minutes and maintain the 152 temperature for an hour. next step is to sparge. i will do a continuous sparge that takes about 30 minutes to collect 5 gallons of wort. i sparge into a bucket, then put the bucket on the highest tier and let it flow back into the turkey fryer and boil for an hour. for the first batch i used a water bath to cool the wort which took about 30 min. second batch, which seems cloudier i used an imersion cooler which took about 10 min. i then pitch the yeast at abut 70 degrees, let the wort splash into the carboy to aerate and let sit for 2 weeks. i havent done secondary fermentation and im not completly sure how to use the hydromemeter to get the gravity readings, i just know its where it should be because of the labels that say before fermentation and after on the hydrometer.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!!!

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

I would let it stay in your bucket for 3 weeks. A little extra time will allow the yeast to clean up and settle out. Also try using a fining agent like Irish moss in your boil, ever since I started using that I have not had a cloudy beer. Chilling your beer prior to bottling can also help to settle out sediment.

As mentioned , use Irish moss or whirlfloc during the boil. Using this with a 3 week primary I'm happy with my clear brews.

Man nice set up for a first all grain :D

I have found that if after bottling and a proper length of time condition if I put the beer in my cellar for a few weeks it will clear up real nice. I am thinking it must be kind of like a lagering poor mans style. I think you could do the same by leaving some of the beer in a fridge for a few weeks and see if it clears up

thanks y'all. I used the moss in the first batch but not the second. maybe thats why the first is a lot more clear. just a tablespoon at the last 15 min of the boil right? evveryone seems to say that time will clear everything up so that what ill do. its been in the primary carboy for 2 weeks so ill let it go another.

I'm guessing you bottle your beers? The easiest way to let them clear is to refrigerate them for about a month after the 2-3 week waiting period after priming with sugar. I've had several batches where I simply forgot the Irish moss, but I just give them a little extra time in the keg or bottles at cold temps and things turn out clear. A lot of new brewers are not patient enough and want to drink 2 weeks after bottling and expect everything to be crystal clear.

Back