new to becoming electrified

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medixlux

Reaction score
So i'm planning on going electric but my question is, do I need de biab, herms, rims system?
Because my plan was just to install a heat element in my HLT, my boiling pot and that's it.
For my mash tun i'm using a cool box. I wanted this system because it would be cheaper for me and since i'm from Europe and if I would go for BIAB we don't have those nice baskets you guys have in the US.
Is my idea good? If yes what would I need for a PID control box with one pump?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I started out the way you're proposing. My signature has a link that shows my progression over the last year.

You're probably going to want a control box of some sort to dial the heat down on your BK once you reach boiling, though still not strictly required. However you don't necessarily need a PID to do that. Either way no, BIAB/rims/herms/etc. aren't requirements in an "electricified" system.

ok that's what I had in mind is building a control box pid for the heat element for my boiling pot and and one pump

thank you

Still Dragon has a European outfit. But I'm not sure if they carry the Electric Controllers.

ETA: It looks like they are located in Austria, but I don't see any Controllers listed on their site. May be worth contacting them to see what they have available.

Last edited:
I know about these but I prefer to build my own. I already have a 13 gallon Pot.
Thank you

With a kettle equipped with an element, you could probably incorporate a false-bottom over the element and use BIAB with a pumped recirculation. You'll definitely want some sort of controller to manage the power and temperature.

I use a RIMS with separate mash tun and boil kettle. Its another approach, but does increase the system complexity.

So i'm planning on going electric but my question is, do I need de biab, herms, rims system?
Because my plan was just to install a heat element in my HLT, my boiling pot and that's it.
For my mash tun i'm using a cool box. I wanted this system because it would be cheaper for me and since i'm from Europe and if I would go for BIAB we don't have those nice baskets you guys have in the US.
Is my idea good? If yes what would I need for a PID control box with one pump?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I currently brew with a propane fired boil kettle, a 50 qt cooler MLT, and a 5G beverage cooler that I use as a HLT. I heat the strike water, put it into the cooler MLT and get the mash going. While that's going, I heat sparge water in the kettle and transfer to the 5 gallon cooler to stay warm while I drain the first runnings. Then drain the sparge water in for a batch sparge, drain that and boil as normal.

It would be a simple transition to go electric and keep the same rig, just install an element in the kettle, get a controller and simply use electricity to heat my strike/sparge water and to boil the wort. Alternatively I could use an induction burner.

It sounds like your setup is similar. You could do that without minimal changes to process and equipment.

That being said, I'm thinking seriously about going whole hog and switching to recirculating BIAB. I think it's a simplified solution that's versatile, quick and easy to clean. I may just replace the burner with electric as a first step though...

Back