New to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreitag

Reaction score
I have been doing all extract brews. I want to get into all grain. Midwest supplies has an all grain starter kit. Is that everything I need to start all grain batches??

Not sure what kit you are looking at. Can you post a link?

Regardless, to make the jump to all-grain you will need (assuming you don't already have these items):
1. Brew kettle that is large enough. Assuming 5.5 gallon batches, I'd recommend no smaller than 10g kettle. 12g would be better. You can get away with 8g if doing 60 minute boils, but it will be tight for 90 min or longer boils.
2. Wort chiller
3. Accurate thermometer for mashing
4. Mash/Lauter Tun (converted cooler or kettle w/false bottom) for traditional all-grain or a brew bag if doing BIAB. If you're just getting into it for the first time, I'd recommend BIAB, but it's up to you. If you do BIAB, invest in a proper bag. Forum user Wilserbrewer makes and sells quality bags for a reasonable price.
5. Ferm temp control and if using liquid yeast, the ability to make yeast starters. Not necessarily required for extract or all-grain, but your beer will be much better if you have these. I'd make sure you have this covered before investing in all-grain equipment.
6. Grain mill. You can get away with not having your own if you have a LHBS nearby that can crush your grain or if you order it online pre-crushed, but ultimately, you'll want to have control over your crush to minimize efficiency inconsistencies due to variations in crush from batch to batch.

I was doing extract kits and wanted to go to all grain and all I bought was a Corona style grain mill and a paint strainer bag. It cost about $30 total and I could do 2 1/2 gallons at a time. I still use that setup but I also bought a turkey fryer so I can do 5 gallon batches. You really don't need a lot to go all grain. You do need an accurate thermometer.

Look for the term BIAB (brew in a bag) for lots of info on how to get started.

15G kettle w/ valve, good burner, BIAB from wilserbrewer, Thermoworks long stem digital thermometer, and you're upgraded to all grain. This is assuming your extract brewing is chilling quickly, propagating yeast with a stirplate, O2 injection, and using temp controlled fermentation. If not, that should be the priority.

Not to slam a well respected online retailer, but you don't need to drop 200 clams on that. To brew All-Grain, you only need:
  1. Something that will hold the wort during a full boil. Most folks use a 10 gallon stainless pot.
  2. Something to mash and lauder your grains in. Lots of folks use a cooler and one of those braided connecting tubes that goes under your sink and a valve. Stick a gasket on the INSIDE to prevent leaks.
  3. Something that can bring 6.5 gallons of water to a full, rolling boil in a reasonable amount of time. I use a Camp Chef propane burner.
  4. something to cool your finished wort down to pitching temperature fairly quickly -- work that takes a long time to cool runs the risk of getting nasties in it.
Since you're already brewing, you shouldn't need fermenters and the rest. All-grain brewing can be as simple or as complicated as you want. The best advice that I can give you is to join a brew club and look at everybody else's set up and ASK QUESTIONS! Seriously, once you go All-Grain, you'll only be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

Back