New Temperature controller (Brewbit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...up next

Edit: ooops.... wrong thread.... beerbug...brewbit... ANYWAY...

I just noticed there's an end of April update: http://brewbit.com/blog/83888658333/end-of-april-update

Can't wait... it's looking really really good... I'll just need an app that combines that data from brewbit and beerbug into the same app... Cheers!

1398472792596.jpg

I got an update yesterday about the progress of Brewbit Model-T. Here's portion of the email, which advises us of an updated page for the Model-T management dashboard.

Website and Forums Launched

We have been hard at work on the software for both the device and the website. Today, we are launching the new website including a streamlined look and feel, the founding backers page, discussion forums and the Model-T management dashboard. We hope that you will join us on the forums to ask any questions you might have and start getting pumped to receive your Model-T with your fellow BrewBitters!​

I emailed the guys at brewbit this morning with a question about a minor defect and they responded right away and had published the fix to production!

I just got 2 emails last night about making sure my shipping address is correct, so it seems assembly is moving along and they should be in the mail soon.

From their blog...

48 Model-T’s down, 552 to go! We should be able to speed up significantly over the next couple of days as we will have some help and will be able to dedicate more time to assembly.

lol, lots of work but it looks like we are in the home stretch here. I'm just hoping we dont run into alot of bugs here...

Wow. $190 retail!
Nice display, the cloud thing is interesting but not everyone may be into that.
I like the raspberrypints + brewpi option myself.

Wow. $190 retail!
Nice display, the cloud thing is interesting but not everyone may be into that.
I like the raspberrypints + brewpi option myself.

Why is that? I mean raspberrypints + brewpi looks like it's a good system and all if you're into putting it all together but what more does it give than brewbit?

Why is that? I mean raspberrypints + brewpi looks like it's a good system and all if you're into putting it all together but what more does it give than brewbit?

Putting it together yourself can be it's own reward. Putting it together the way you want it.

Digital tap list
Proximity sensors
Flow meters to indicate consumption
Precise fermentation control with data logging
Ability to control other devices as part of the Pi/Arduino/webserver setup... Webcams, lights, multiple temp zones, very expandable for the cost of an arduino and probe (short money)
Runs on open source web services so easily configurable/accessible...
I don't know about the whole online account thing with brewbit... If they go belly up does your device become worthless? Does it lose functionality? I honestly don't know.

I don't think the brewbit is a bad product... And it seems to do a lot of the above out of the box, but for those who want to create a system for their needs, maybe brewbit is too finished and too costly because of it for me..

If you want plug and play I think that's cool. It's a bit expensive for me and not quite scalable enough... But it's probably the right choice for some and I can see why some would be attracted to it.. It might be a nice step up for those using Johnson controllers. For those who have already built their sct-1000s I think they'd be going the Pi route but I could be wrong.

There's no right answer...

Putting it together yourself can be it's own reward. Putting it together the way you want it.

Digital tap list
Proximity sensors
Flow meters to indicate consumption
Precise fermentation control with data logging
Ability to control other devices as part of the Pi/Arduino/webserver setup... Webcams, lights, multiple temp zones, very expandable for the cost of an arduino and probe (short money)
Runs on open source web services so easily configurable/accessible...
I don't know about the whole online account thing with brewbit... If they go belly up does your device become worthless? Does it lose functionality? I honestly don't know.

I don't think the brewbit is a bad product... And it seems to do a lot of the above out of the box, but for those who want to create a system for their needs, maybe brewbit is too finished and too costly because of it for me..

If you want plug and play I think that's cool. It's a bit expensive for me and not quite scalable enough... But it's probably the right choice for some and I can see why some would be attracted to it.. It might be a nice step up for those using Johnson controllers. For those who have already built their sct-1000s I think they'd be going the Pi route but I could be wrong.

There's no right answer...

Nick from BrewBit here, just wanted to mention that we are fully open source also. If we go belly up, you will always have access to the source.

http://github.com/brewbit/model-t

Don't want to use our web service? By all means, create your own personal one. That is the beauty of open source.

We also have tons of free I/O on the board and 100% approve of hacking it to fit your system. We even did a video demonstrating interfacing with an arduino to read a humidity sensor. Our goal with BrewBit was both flexibility for those that want it, and also ease of use for those that just want something that works out of the box.

On the subject of cost, I think we are actually a bit cheaper when you include the cost of a Raspberry Pi and other things that you need to get it up and running. We did a blog post on the topic, and found that BrewPi ends up costing $245 or so when you include all the extras. Please do let us know if we are missing something though.

http://brewbit.com/blog/55716064034/brewbit-model-t-brewpi-comparison

All that said, I am not trashing BrewPi in any way. It is also a very good and flexible product, and it absolutely does do some things that we do not. As you said, there is no right answer, only what works for you. Just wanted to make sure all the facts are out there for a fair comparison.

Nick from BrewBit here, just wanted to mention that we are fully open source also. If we go belly up, you will always have access to the source.

http://github.com/brewbit/model-t

Don't want to use our web service? By all means, create your own personal one. That is the beauty of open source.

We also have tons of free I/O on the board and 100% approve of hacking it to fit your system. We even did a video demonstrating interfacing with an arduino to read a humidity sensor. Our goal with BrewBit was both flexibility for those that want it, and also ease of use for those that just want something that works out of the box.

On the subject of cost, I think we are actually a bit cheaper when you include the cost of a Raspberry Pi and other things that you need to get it up and running. We did a blog post on the topic, and found that BrewPi ends up costing $245 or so when you include all the extras. Please do let us know if we are missing something though.

http://brewbit.com/blog/55716064034/brewbit-model-t-brewpi-comparison

All that said, I am not trashing BrewPi in any way. It is also a very good and flexible product, and it absolutely does do some things that we do not. As you said, there is no right answer, only what works for you. Just wanted to make sure all the facts are out there for a fair comparison.

best of luck in your endeavor. its quite nice to see so many entrepreneurs in this hobby.

SWEET! I just got an email from FedEx saying I have a package coming from Inebriated Innovations... :-D

Just got mine in the mail. Solid construction. Responsive touch screen. No issues linking up to the Web interface. At the office so can't do a real run through but looks good so far

Very jealous, upload some pics when you get it running!

I havent even gotten tracking info yet :(

Very pretty.

Which outlet is the cooling source? My fermenting fridge has a 90deg plug on it. I am wondering if I'll need to reterminate so it doesnt hang over the other outlet.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks! Im brewing on the 15th and was hoping I could get it set up by then, probably wishful thinking.

If you have already created your account on BrewBit.com you can get onto the site and create the temperature profile you want for the session. Shouldn't take too much to get the device configured once you receive it. Only thing I need to figure out is programming the ramping/hold schedules. I'm used to manually adjusting the the controller when I have the time.

New Session.jpg

SEssion Profile.jpg

So has anyone used their brewbit yet? What are your thoughts and feedback so far? I'm considering buying one if only for the temperature profiles.

I have not used mine yet so I cannot report yet. There is an active forum for the brewbit here:
http://discourse.brewbit.com

You will see all the issues people are having. It works for many but there are some bugs. It seems to be a very promising device and I'm glad I have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Mine is working great. On my second batch now with it.

https://brewbit.com/dashboard/devices/92/sessions/3259?token=d17ec0453ee88ec4ec277c8645598b2d

This is the beer I just brewed on Sunday

And I got a second probe that I just have hanging so I can see the garage temperatures https://brewbit.com/dashboard/devices/92/sessions/3255?token=c541a6c9f1c4fb7ab00e86381fd3f2d1

I had a few issues with WiFi dropping off (Only impacted being able to control it from the web interface), but its been fine since I switched to the beta builds of the OS.

I am using mine for the first time right now, controlling a pump that pumps ice water onto a carboy covered in a t-shirt. Maintains 60 degrees almost perfectly. The only issue I have is that the second controller on it froze up and hasn't updated in 3 days. I was using this to monitor when the ice ran out so I would know when to change it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I am using mine for the first time right now, controlling a pump that pumps ice water onto a carboy covered in a t-shirt. Maintains 60 degrees almost perfectly. The only issue I have is that the second controller on it froze up and hasn't updated in 3 days. I was using this to monitor when the ice ran out so I would know when to change it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Are you on the stable build or unstable? Switching to the unstable took care of my minor issues (also gives you the ability to put the screen to sleep after a timeout)

I'm curious what the differences between this and the brewpi are in terms of temperature control? Do they work the same way, learn the same way, switch the power sources the same way? If not, what are the differences? I'm definitely leaning towards the brewbit as it works out of the box and requires no assembly, but the brewpi seems to be more precise from what I read...I just haven't figured out why it's more precise.

Are you on the stable build or unstable? Switching to the unstable took care of my minor issues (also gives you the ability to put the screen to sleep after a timeout)

I am on the latest unstable firmware. Still have the same problem I had before. Hoping for a fix...

Klaus

Hi brewers,

I've been told to "be frivolous" in my Xmas list this year. And a remotely-controlled fermentation temperature controller with graphical readout pretty much maxes out the Frivolous-to-awesome ratio ;)

But I see some mixed experiences with the first generation of this unit. The last post was a few months ago, so I was wondering if users could share their current experiences so that I can figure whether this is a good thing to pick up or not.

Thanks!

ETA: They are sold out till 2Q2015?!?! WTF? what kind of way is that to grow a business?

Back