New Style Corny? For sale on Craigslist...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effington

Reaction score
I saw this corny keg for sale on Craigslist; if it's the new style that works with home brew systems, then it's comparable to a $150 model for sale on KC.

What do you guys think, is this a good buy...

3kd3pa3o95O65Qc5Pb9ag4a2e7e6f13ab1ecb.jpg

3nf3pb3l15O65Pa5R39ag08ed3a1d372518ed.jpg

What I see is a standard single handle corny keg with an extra post that looks like a relief valve. Not sure how much they are asking on Craigslist, but you can buy them used from Chicompany for under $25 each.

Not sure what you are comparing them to at KC (Keg Connection?).

How are we supposed to determine if it's a good buy, if you didn't post the price?

What I see is a standard single handle corny keg with an extra post that looks like a relief valve.

Actually, from the look of that second picture could this possible have been used as a fermentor and that third post is a thermocouple? Looks like a wire going in from the handle....maybe? :confused:

The "new" looking model (one handled) work the same as the "old" (two handles)cornies for homwbrew

I am curious about the third post though and whether or not $30 is worth me driving about an hour out of my way for.

I am curious about the third post though and whether or not $30 is worth me driving about an hour out of my way for.

Yeah. I'd ask the seller what they were for. The third post more than likely isn't an issue, but if the tank was modified for espresso machines, it might be missing something else. If you don't have any access to kegs closer, then it might be worth it for more than one.

In your area though, I'd take a look at ordering from insco2, a vendor here at HBT. He has good deals, especially for you since he is in Ohio.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/cheap-ball-lock-cornies-139863/

If it was used to hold water for espresso machines, do you think it held that water under pressure? And does anyone know if those machines really need distilled water? Seems like an odd application to me, but I literally have zero knowledge of how those things work...

EDIT: If you look really close at the pictures, you can see one of the posts labeled water, and the other gas or air (something with three letters). Can't make out the writing on the third (wired?) post though... Interesting that the one that says gas or air is offset from the one that says water, which makes me think the upper one on the right side has some special purpose...

I have seen them used for eyewash stations too. That would actually make sense if it used to hold distilled water.

I contacted the seller about the third post and what the keg was previously used for; I'll be curious to hear what they say and I'll be sure to post the reply.

I'm not too far from Elizabetown and came across this on Craigslist as well.
According to the seller the third post is "a level sensor for the application it was used for".
I supposed that means he had an external gauge of some sort that showed the water level.

Effington: are you hot for this thing? If not, I might run up and buy it.

Hmm, the seller never got back to me. I'm assuming they either sold or are doing something else. That's ok, insco2 is selling his for a better price even with shipping.

The third post is a level sensor.
Inside the tank is the float with magnets, the sensor (Reed switch) is inside the SS tube.

Here is one of my tanks
Dispensing_Tank1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back