New, strange-looking scoby forming on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelyn

Reaction score
Hi there!

First time brewing and have a few questions.

A new scoby is forming on the top of my tea and looks very different than the old scoby I started with, which is floating halfway down the jar. I attached some pictures, please let me know if this is a healthy new scoby or if something is wrong.

If the new scoby is healthy, is that what I would use on my next batch rather than the old scoby? It's not very thick, would I have to make a smaller amount?

This has been brewing well over a week, so I know I should be bottling soon, but I've held off from tasting in case it's mold or something.

Any info is very helpful :)

IMG_6739.JPG
IMG_6741.JPG
IMG_6743.JPG

Give it some time to thicken and that will tell you. It shouldn't be black or green either. Then again I don't know what your tea was when you started. I use 14 black tea and 4 green tea and the scoby looks beige all the way thru and if left long enough will take over the whole jar. Mine was in for 6months and was 4inch thick.

Back