New Steelhead Pump - 3/8" OK on Outlet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruff311

Reaction score
I just got a steelhead pump (http://goo.gl/St9gO8) and am trying to figure out what fittings I need to integrate it into my system. Everything is 1/2" in my circuit except for my counterflow chiller which I made using 3/8" OD copper tubing. Since I have to pump from the kettle into the chiller, can I put a 1/2" NPT -> 3/8" barb on the outlet 1/2" ball valve on my steelhead?

I've read much about restricting the flow going INTO the pump, but I haven't heard much about the outlet side. Thoughts?

It'll slow down the flow for sure, but it's no different than choking down a post pump ball valve in theory. Won't hurt the pump though.

If you're going to 3/8" for the CFC then your flow will be constricted there anyway. No issues reducing prior to the CFc

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What about the other way? I'm using all 3/8" fittings and tubing on a 1/2" Steelhead pump from NB. If it's properly primed, do I have to worry about anything like cavitation?

Back