New School WCIPAs and APAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loud Brewing

Reaction score
I have really been enjoying these "new school" clear IPAs and APAs that have little to no crystal malt and very low/balanced bitterness. There are several offerings from Alvarado street, Beachwood, and PizzaPort lately that fit this description very well and I would like to try and brew something similar. Happy Hops from Russian River is also in the same vein.

I would assume that using a simple grain bill of 2-row, skip the crystal/caramel malts typical of most classic wcipas, and perhaps even skipping the hotside hop additions and going only with whirlpool and a heavy dryhop additions might get me the results I'm looking for.

All suggestions welcome.

I recently brewed the Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale but changed up the hopping schedule. I did a low bittering charge at 60, then whirlpool, and a fairly large dry hop. This beer almost came out more like a hoppy blonde and it’s by far the best beer I’ve made so far. I would describe the taste as what you are looking for. Plus, it’s crystal clear. Any haziness perceived here is just condensation on the glass.
IMG_3851.JPG

Last edited:
I have really been enjoying these "new school" clear IPAs and APAs that have little to no crystal malt and very low/balanced bitterness. There are several offerings from Alvarado street, Beachwood, and PizzaPort lately that fit this description very well and I would like to try and brew something similar. Happy Hops from Russian River is also in the same vein.

I would assume that using a simple grain bill of 2-row, skip the crystal/caramel malts typical of most classic wcipas, and perhaps even skipping the hotside hop additions and going only with whirlpool and a heavy dryhop additions might get me the results I'm looking for.

All suggestions welcome.

You're kind of describing a West Coast IPA and a New England IPA at the same time. So basically a NEIPA with no adjuncts?

Are these like the new "Brut" style IPA's? I have had a few and don't care for them.

It's the direction IPAs have been going for awhile now. Eliminating crystal malt and lowering IBUs. When I started making IPAs people were advertising how high the IBUs were because apparently running a scouring pad over your tongue was fun.

Almost all the IPAs 10 years ago had crystal malt, and now it's rare or extremely low from the recipes I've been seeing.

I dropped crystal in all my hoppy beers except one and that's my celebration ale style clone that has a half pound of crystal 60 in it. I feel though I could just use munich instead and get almost the same beer which is what I have been doing with most of my hoppy beers. I've used vienna, light and dark munich, honey malt, etc... instead of crystal. I still find though that using a dash of crystal malts can balance darker beers so I haven't fully rid my grists of crystal but it's just about gone from all my paler ales.

WCIPA is still my favorite IPA style. I don't like pallet wreaking bitterness these days but I do like around 40-50 IBU's in my IPAs and I like them more clear than not- even though a little hop haze never hurt anyone. My Mother-in-law mistook orange juice for a beer a few weeks ago which is sad imo haha.

I have started to gravitate almost every beer I make to 80-90% Pils and the rest vienna/munich for lighter beer.

Munich is what I replaced crystal with as well. I don't miss it.

Sounds like you guys are all describing Continental ales and/or lagers! Only difference appears to be citrus-pine instead of noble hops. I like the trend.

What got me into homebrewing nearly three decades ago was my then frequent trips to Europe and discovering all the wonderful beers of Germany, Switzerland, England, Belgium, Czech Republic, and all the rest. I couldn't find what I now wanted here in 'Merica, so I started making my own.

Eventually my son shamed me into liking IPAs, even though they didn't taste like the one's in London, and I gravitated to the domestic type craft beers. I never jumped on the NEIPA train however, even though I tried hard to like them. Just too many wannabes out there trying to cash in on the latest shiny object and blurring the few really good ones. Plus I never got past that whole attraction to 'haze' which to me spelled 'murky' masking flaws.

Now it looks like what was old is new again. May the circle be unbroken.

Brooo Brother

I have started to gravitate almost every beer I make to 80-90% Pils and the rest vienna/munich for lighter beer.

+1 vote for Munich or Victory as a change out for Carmel. I run about 90% 2 Row and 10% Munich for a base these days.

I just bought the ingredients to make my next IPA with these guidelines. Excited to give this a try!

Back