New School Pitching Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmeek

Reaction score
I just made 3.5 gal of 1.122 OG mead and when I went to get my yeast the guy at the shop convinced me to only get one 5g package of 71-B. This is my 5th batch and I wasn't sure if I had used a bigger pack before but he said that would be more than enough. Reading back on "The Complete Meadmaker" Ken Schramm recommends using 2 packs for a 5 gal batch. Should I have used more yeast? Is it too late to pitch more tomorrow?
Also, on a side note... This was my first time using Go-Ferm Protect and following package instructions it said use 1.25 grams in 17mL per gram yeast. So in my case 6.25g in 85mL of water. However, the yeast pack says to rehydrate in 50mL of water. Does it really matter? I ended up using 60mL and the Go-Ferm was very hard to get to dissolve into solution even in 107F water. Anyone else have similar issues with the new Go-Ferm Protect?

Don't worry too much about how much rehydration water you have, so long as it isn't massive, but worrying down to the Ml won't make much difference. I do about 1/2 liter water, no messing with anything. 1g/gal yeast pitch is fine for wine yeast, I wouldn't pitch too much as you can get off flavors. In my opinion 2g/gal as per Ken Schraam seems pretty excessive even for high gravity fermentations.

Go-ferm Protect works best if added to water around 112+ and whisked in and then let cool to mid 100-109 before rehydrating yeast, remember to always add dry to wet slowly. Then if possible acclimate your starter to the must temperature either by submergming if possible or cooling the starter down to must temp to avoid shocking the yeast.

I would say overall that 1g/gal yeast rehydrated properly with go-ferm protect should yield good fermentation, especially with good nutrient management.
\
Good Luck

You can download ScottsLab winemaking and cidermaking guides online. In it they suggest dissolving GOFERM at 110F and then adding yeast at 105F. They also suggest using more yeast and higher nutrient rates for higher gravity wines though most people probably just use 1 pack and it works out, if the yeast company says more yeast and more food I give them more yeast and more food and also do the attenuation step of adjusting the temp of your rehydrated yeast to the temp of your must. Might not be so critical in regular musts but when you know you are going to be stressing the yeast some why not make things easy on them? WVMJ

Back