New sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhite60

Reaction score
After using iodophor for years I picked up some One-Step to try.

Since using it I've had a number of cases of inconsistent carbonation which leads me to believe something is growing in the bottles. I don't think One-Step is quite as effective as iodophor. I'm changing back.

All the Best,
D. White

One-Step is a cleaner not labeled as a sanitizer. Since it is creating hydrogen peroxide, it "should" sanitize fairly well, but it hasn't been tested and approved as a sanitizer. If you are going to use it as a sanitizer, make sure to keep all your gear dunked for at least 2 minutes.

I've used it in at least 20 batches and use it in a step in sanitizing bottles(although its just one of 3 steps) and have never had issues with it. As long as you follow the ratio it has on the can and let it sit for 2-5 mins you should be good. Not to say there won't be some cases that it doesn't work.

One-Step is a cleaner not labeled as a sanitizer. Since it is creating hydrogen peroxide, it "should" sanitize fairly well, but it hasn't been tested and approved as a sanitizer. If you are going to use it as a sanitizer, make sure to keep all your gear dunked for at least 2 minutes.

^^^^This! One Step is s cleanser. Get some StarSan for sanitizing plus no rinse !

^^^^This! One Step is s cleanser. Get some StarSan for sanitizing plus no rinse !

What he said ^. I really don't get why anyone wouldn't use starsan. Cost isn't an excuse, I still have 1/4 left in the same bottle I bought over a year ago. It is so simple, fast, and no rinse. You can even re-use it. I mix 1 gallon at a time in distilled water and you can use that for months if you re-use.

Back