New Regulator Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secretlevel

Reaction score
I had a leak in my regulator so I grabbed a new one from Amazon. I sealed off end of regulator and set to 10 psi before turning off CO2 overnight then went to bed to see how much of that pressure is leftover the best day. In the morning I'm at 5 psi so there's a tiny leak somewhere, right? Would it be reasonable exchange or get a different regulator?

The link doesn’t work for me. Is it a taprite? I think they have integral o rings on the main part that goes on the tank. Otherwise you need some kind of nylon o ring. Did you use soapy water at the connection points?

Here is a simpler link to the same offering. It's definitely not a Taprite, and the required separate gaskets inside the cylinder coupler are shown at the top of the page.

As for the pressure drop: if the high pressure gauge was still well above (lets say 100 psi minimum) then the regulator setting must have drifted. Otoh, if the high pressure gauge was essentially at zero, that would explain the low pressure gauge reading dropping. I'd need to know which scenario fits to comment further, beyond noting I did have a Chudnow regulator that had a tiny leak around its PRV valve threads to the regulator body. I didn't find it for years...

Cheers!

Here is a simpler link to the same offering. It's definitely not a Taprite, and the required separate gaskets inside the cylinder coupler are shown at the top of the page.

As for the pressure drop: if the high pressure gauge was still well above (lets say 100 psi minimum) then the regulator setting must have drifted. Otoh, if the high pressure gauge was essentially at zero, that would explain the low pressure gauge reading dropping. I'd need to know which scenario fits to comment further, beyond noting I did have a Chudnow regulator that had a tiny leak around its PRV valve threads to the regulator body. I didn't find it for years...

Cheers!

That sort of makes sense. The left gauge shows > 500 and the top one I set to 10 psi. Now that I hooked up some hoses and pressured up the system, it's been holding at 10. I think the drift is what happened and I might actually be ok!

Back