**New Product** Spike Carb Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Introducing the new Spike Carb Stone!

A carb stone uses a sintered metal ‘stone’ which has very small pores. These pores diffuse gas into very small bubbles which can be easily dissolved into your beer. Typically a keg that is hooked up to a CO2 tank can take 5-7 days to fully carbonate. A carb stone can reduce that time to less than 24hrs! Since our conical fermenter is pressure rated to 15psi you can both ferment and carbonate in one unit. This eliminates the need for a separate, expensive brite tank.

At Spike we say, “Quality Matters.”. It’s not just a tagline or marketing fluff; we truly live by this. We had more than a handful of OEMs submit samples to us based on our drawings. These samples were then analyzed by the local university using an optical microscopy, SEM (scanning electron microscope) and EDS analysis to determine material composition and pore size. The results had quite the range and it goes to show that not every carb stone is equal. Some of the “5 micron” carb stones were closer to 50 microns! After the analysis was completed we can now confidently advertise our carb stone as 5 micron and that it does not have any toxic heavy metals.

We appreciate the patience with this product launch (all of our product launches)! We hope this gives some insight on our new product development process and quality standards; Quality Matters.

This is a product I was surprised didn't exist already given the number of people using a small micron stone for introducing oxygen to wort when pitching yeast. It makes perfect sense for kegging.

However, I WOULD be careful in noting carbonating in the conical given the general stupidity of people. Many nitro systems are often used at a higher pressure that would exceed the 15 PSI limit of the conical. Some also carbonate at a higher pressure at room temperature (which may be more common with a big conical) I'd just worry of people forgetting the pressure limits of the conical and creating a dangerous situation.

This is a product I was surprised didn't exist already given the number of people using a small micron stone for introducing oxygen to wort when pitching yeast. It makes perfect sense for kegging.

However, I WOULD be careful in noting carbonating in the conical given the general stupidity of people. Many nitro systems are often used at a higher pressure that would exceed the 15 PSI limit of the conical. Some also carbonate at a higher pressure at room temperature (which may be more common with a big conical) I'd just worry of people forgetting the pressure limits of the conical and creating a dangerous situation.

Isn't that what the pressure relief valve is for?

Correct! You'll want to use a pressure manifold with gas post, pressure gauge and 15psi pressure relief valve.

So I’ve seen “0.5 micron” and “2 micron” sintered stones available and read many threads debating which is better. I could not find the info on Spikebrewing.com, but in this thread, Spike is saying that their stone has been tested and rated at “5 micron”.
I just want to confirm that you guys meant “5” and not “0.5” because, for my purposes (oxygenation/aeration of mead must) I think I would prefer the smallest bubbles possible and a 0.5 micron stone would be the ticket.
5 micron seem pretty big, so if that is indeed the case, is it possible to swap out the stone? Because I REALLY dig the TC housing and the air port.

So I’ve seen “0.5 micron” and “2 micron” sintered stones available and read many threads debating which is better. I could not find the info on Spikebrewing.com, but in this thread, Spike is saying that their stone has been tested and rated at “5 micron”.
I just want to confirm that you guys meant “5” and not “0.5” because, for my purposes (oxygenation/aeration of mead must) I think I would prefer the smallest bubbles possible and a 0.5 micron stone would be the ticket.
5 micron seem pretty big, so if that is indeed the case, is it possible to swap out the stone? Because I REALLY dig the TC housing and the air port.

Take a look at our knowledge base article HERE. During our testing we were actually unable to find an actual .5 or even 2 micron stone.

Back