new on for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakehale

Reaction score
Ok... how bad is it.

My fermenter poured over. I have a 5 gallon (secondary) carboy and use just the simple airlock.... well for the first time, i had an extreme blow out, looked in my chamber and the airlock had just boiled over,,,

i cleaned everthing up and put in a new airlock. I know i need to get a blow off tube for the furture but do you think the beer is OK? probably sat for three day with no airlock....

thanks

Lol, don't worry this has happened to all of us.
Beer might or might not be infection free. Only one way to fine out...

If you have a 3 piece air lock you can take out the bobber and stick a hose down in the shaft and the other end in a milk jug full of sanitizer. might have to slit the end of the hose depending on the outside diameter to get it to fit in. Just make sure to stick the hose down far enough that the slit is not exposed.

I wouldn't worry so much about the beer, but if you had a blow out in the secondary... you transferred way too quickly. How long did it sit in the primary... a day and a half?

Well... It was in primary for 8 days (wheat beer)... But the kicker is in secondary I added fruit........ That was/is my problem. It's my first fruit wheat beer , didn't count on the new sugars added by the fruit.
Thanks for the information, I hope it comes out good. I'll keep you posted

Back