New Oak barrel how long to oak for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All, I have a quick question. I have a new Oak barrel and I soaked it with some whiskey. I then emptied it and it has been full of water since. I am now ready to put my first batch of beer in there to age. It is an Arrognat Bastard clone so I am hoping to get Oaked AB. My question is how long do I keep it in the barrel for?

Thank you!

I've never done this but it is probably hard to tell exactly how long it should be in there. Most home brewers, I would assume, only have the opportunity of using oak chips to impart oak flavors on their brews. Few probably have the luxury of using an oak barrel. I've read that beers aged with oak can be aged anywhere from months to years depending on the goal. If I can make a suggesting, I would say simply draw samples periodically until you feel it has reached the desired level of oak characteristics for your taste.

I oak in the keg. 1-2 ounces depending on what kind of brew. Dark brews I oak longer, lighter brews only about 2 weeks. Stouts and strong beers hold up better to the oaking process. Soak the chips in rum or whisky for a few weeks to get some of that flavor in your beer.

Back