New Monster Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argodzilla

Reaction score
Hi, I got a new monster mill mm2 and I set the gap to .04. Does the grain look ok, or is it too fine. I am doing batch sparging so I am thinking this is going to be fine, but my wife tells me that I don't know very much. Thanks in advance for any information.
-Matt
0315181915.jpg

No man ever failed due to overestimation of their wives’ opinion. Then again, every wife seems to think their husbands are dumb and we’ve accomplished some pretty neat stuff over the years. Also a bunch of stupid and terrible stuff...

Batch sparge should keep you pretty safe- worst case you just let it keep draining when you start the boil. Rice hulls are a good insurance policy.

I've seen worse.
fwiw, while realizing knurl patterns matter and are different from mill to mill, I run my 2-roller at an .035 gap for barley.
That'd be a scoche tighter for your mill, and the result might satisfy the peanut gallery...

Cheers! ;)

Last edited:
OK, here's a curve ball.....I have mine set about the same as yours. Mine's actually around 0.039-.040 ish. And that's where it works best for me. Any finer, and I get stuck mashes. This is without wheat or the "typical" reasons to use rice hulls. I use a bottom draining keggle, JayBird false bottom w/ level 3 filter/support and re-circulate via RIMS, with my pump running barely open ~ < 1.0 Gal/minute.

I'd say it's a good starting point. But you'll have to try it on YOUR system to see how you do. If you're fine with your efficiency & OK with a little more grist to make up for it, you're good. The next batch, I'd try tightening it up a couple thousandths and see how well that works for you. And adjust as necessary.

Back