New member needs kit suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnySax

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to all of this however i did have experience brewing one batch of beer back in college with one of my professors. Right now I am in the market for a starter kit. I have looked all over and there is a wide range of prices. everything from $60 to over $400! I know what generally I want but I cant seem to find the right kit for me. I know I want a primary and secondary. I know I want a wort chiller... However i really don't need all the books and fancy table top cappers that some of these kits have. I don't like to do things half assed, however I do like to do things as cheap as I can without sacrificing quality. So, after all that, I want some suggestions on some good 2-stage starter kits with a wort chiller. I already have a 30qt turkey fryer which is still in the box which will make a perfect brewing pot (right?). I would like to spend less then $150 shipped! I don't want the recipe kits that come with these either... unless you know some good ones. Please give me some websites and some good starter info. Thanks in advance everyone!

Oh and i do have some home brewing books at home I'm going to start reading

-Jonathan

Welcome to HBT Jonathan!:mug:
Many folks here shop at Austin Home Brew Supply. They have a decent price on shipping ($6.99)

The kit listed or one like it will be good for you as you begin brewing. I guarantee if you enjoy brewing and get addicted you will be expanding your brewery but this is a good starting point. Remember that you will also need to get about 2 cases of 12 ounce capable bottles (not the twist off type). You can buy them at a home brew store or save some money by keeping bottles you get or even have friends save them for you. Some folks even get them from bars and restaurants. I've even heard that a very famous HBT member has been seen dumpster diving for bottles! You have to remove the labels but it is well worth it.
Let us know what you get and what you brew with it!:mug:

The wort chiller is going to add a pretty penny to your kit. The Austin Homebrew Super Deluxe kit will have everything that you desire at this time, although a bit higher than you want to spend. I got a basic kit from my LHBS to start, but I quickly accumulated each piece of equipment in that kit individually. You'll see a lot of threads here answered with either "get an auto-siphon" or "get a wine-thief." You could compare the equipment in that kit to others that you come across to find something a bit cheaper, but that's a good baseline if you really want your kit to be extremely thorough.

Your 30-quart pot won't fit in your sink easily, so to do ice baths you'd need one of those larger rubbermaid containers, but you could get away without a wort chiller for a while.

All this being said, whatever kit you get, you're always going to be thinking about that next upgrade.

I live less than a mile from Midwest Supplies, so.... yeah. :D :drunk: They do have great prices though, and the staff is very knowledgeable. I can attest firsthand that their equipment and ingredients are top quality.

That's a good kit to get you going. The main body of the auto-siphon can sort of double as a wine thief (although the hydrometer won't fit in there). Definately has everything you need to get going on the right foot.

I switched to Better Bottles this year, although I saved a few glass carboys for fruit beers and really really long secondaries, and am extremely happy. The weight difference is amazing and no fear of them smashing into a million little pieces and severing tendons. (I've never had one break, but after reading a few horror stories I didn't want to find out.)

Latest posts

Back