New Location, New Off-Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trumpetbeard

Reaction score
I'm not really a beginner, but I couldn't think of where else to post this. So I recently moved from NY to CT, and I brewed my first batches at my new place in August. The first batch, a hefe, tasted odd. All the flavors of the hefe were there, but it had this strange watery taste. It was like all the flavor was there hidden beneath this odd barrier. I chalked it up to being careless adding an extra half-gallon of top off water (4 --> 4.5 gallons post boil).

The second batch, a low abv. Belgian Golden, has the same issue, only for some reason with that yeast (wyeast flanders golden) it gives it a really bizarre peanuty taste. My volumes were spot on this batch so I ruled out too much top-off water. There was none of great yeast flavor I've gotten the previous 2 times I used this yeast, and almost no hop or malt character.

Basically, my process is identical to my NY, my sanitation is tight (neither batch looks nor tastes infected), and my ingredients were good and relatively fresh (meaning I have no reason to suspect they are the cause). My suspicion is that the water is the culprit here, but I have no comparison because life got real busy in september and I haven't been able to brew.

I guess my question is does anyone know if water is capable of causing these off flavors (a watery, almost selzer like taste), or is there something I'm not considering. There's just such little hop, malt, and yeast flavor in 2 yeast driven beers that I'm honestly confused. Have people had similar experience w/ changes in water? I guess I'm just confused that it happened twice.

My next step is to brew the belgian (one of my standards that usually turns out amazing) using store bought RO water as a control. I'll post the recipes and process below. Thanks in advance, I know this is a lot to read.

Hefe
4 gallons:
6lb white wheat
3lb pils
.8oz vienna
.75 oz Hallertau @ 45 and .25 @ FO
Wy3638
Mash @ 151
Biab, teabag pseudo sparge
3 weeks primary @ 64-66˚

Belgian Golden
5 gallons:
~5 gallons
7.5 lb Belgian pils
.5 Caravienne
.5lb Flaked oats
.5lb Biscuit

1 oz hallertau @ 60
.5 oz perle @ 15
.25 perle @ 5
.25 perle @ FO
Same process, mashed @ 154
8 weeks in primary (work got insane)
2 weeks @ 66˚
6 weeks @ room temp 68-74

Seltzer-like, could it be astringency? That could be a water issue. It does seem the most likely culprit if it happened after a move. I think your plan to use RO water is a good one (maybe add back some CaCl). Can you get a water report for where you are?

I think I would consider checking the water, it the only thing that really changed. While its possible to get some wierd off flavors from using old ingredients, I'd like to give the retailers the benefit of the doubt. Are you on municipal water supply or a well. If you can get a water report from your old location and compare to the new location, that might help. Most medium to large cities offer the water report online. If its a well, might be harder to find out.

Google your city name + chloramine to see if that pops up. That's how I figured out Dallas uses it.

It certainly could be water, I've had similar issues after moving but in my case I found that although the water chemistry was different at my new residence most of my problems were actually process related. Keep in mind that while water is important, other factors like fermentation temps, pitching rates or even mash temps could be more important. Most municipal water will work just fine for brewing most styles.

My guess is water, too, if that's the only variable you can see right now. My water at home is awful so I spring for bottled spring water. It costs me around 2-3 dollars for 5 gallons and it's totally worth it.

I agree about the water profile. Around here when it gets really hot outside,the water can taste/smell like flat alkaseltzer. I then go with spring water at that point till things cool down & the water appears to have less chemicals in it. I guess they're compensating for the nasties increasing in the lake water they treat for us.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Requested a water report from my city. Plan for now is to look for a place that sells RO water by the gallon.

Back