New leaf growth curling downward

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ststephen5

Reaction score
Anybody have an educated guess what is causing all three of my Cascade plants to start doing this. The little guys are 1st year rhizomes and the big boy is GLH crown planted in middle of May. All have been doing well and then all of a sudden this! Thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402696018.306959.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402696053.817936.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402696092.784959.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

First year usually is the slow one. Second year usually takes off!

Any idea why the new growth is curling downward? Also, checked on them this morning and curled leaves are browning on the edges and the bines stopped growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The last picture shows some of the other leaves are curled/wilted. I don't know any hop specific ailments but general too much/not enough sun or water can cause leaf curl. One of your pictures showed the ground which didn't look swampy. How much clay does that area have in it, and did you amend the soil at all.
Since it's only the new growth could it be that's just the way the leaves unfurl?

No clay at all. Sandy soil amended with mushroom compost and topsoil. Soil stays moist, never soaked. They were doing fine since May, growing fast and now this, rather suddenly. I don't believe it is how the leaves unfurl either.

Maybe you have some type of mineral deficiency. Do you use compost?

I had something similar with my Nugget earlier this year, every leaf began curling downward. I used some vigoro 10-10-10 and blood meal, and every leaf that is new is doing fine. Maybe some fertilizer will help. Good luck!

Back