New Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suggest in terms of what? Didn't you order the kit? Ohhhhh by kit you meant the equipment. Well, since you ordered the equipment I'm assuming you may not have a LHBS nearby, so get on ordering something! Go for any sort of ale. My first batch was a Nut Brown with a mesh-extract kit. I'm finishing up week 3 in my fermenter...getting ready to bottle it soon =)

i recently brewed the octane ipa from midwest and it turned out pretty good. if you're a hop head order some extra hops with it because they say it's 72 IBU's but according to recipator, all the other calculators and my taste buds 72 is an exagerated number.

botom line...they are easy to use and turn out great

Beer for new guy = hefeweizen. You can't go wrong.

I, of course, would suggest partial mashing (check out the link in my sig), but a basic hefeweizen extract recipe consists of the following:

6 lbs Wheat Dry Malt Extract (or 7 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract)
1 oz Hops (Hallertau, Tettnanger, Saaz, Mt. Hood, or other mid-alpha hop)
WLP300 Yeast

That's it. If you want, you could steep 0.25 lb of chocolate malt and make a dunkelweizen.

Back