New kegger. Couple questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlitheryDee

General Manager
Reaction score
So I started kegging recently. Right now I've been keeping two kegs and my co2 tank inside my brew shed fridge, but I'd like to move the tank outside the fridge to make room for a third keg. I'm thinking I'll drill a hole through the side of the fridge, mount the tank next to it, and run a hose from the tank to the regulator inside the fridge.

My first issue is that I'm a bit flummoxed as to what kind of hose I need to connect the tank to the regulator. Perusing morebeer.com, I don't see anything that seems designed for that purpose. All the tubing and connectors seem made to run from the regulator to the keg rather than from the tank to the regulator. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Should I be mounting the regulator AND tank outside and then running the gas line(s) from the regulator through the side of the fridge?

My second question has to do with distributing the pressure from the regulator to the kegs. Say I need to mount the regulator outside and run the gas line from the regulator through the fridge wall. Am I correct in assuming that all I need to do is connect that gas line to a three way manifold inside the fridge so long as I want to keep all the kegs at the same pressure?

Thanks

Your regulator needs to be mounted to the tank.

Yep, all you need is a three way manifold. Or if you want different pressures, secondary regulators.

Kegoutlet.com is just one source that sells a high pressure hose that will connect to the cylinder and go to a remote regulator. However, you need to be aware of a few safety concerns. If you do this, understand that hose is unregulated and you will have close to 900psi in the hose going to the regulator. Also, like our CO2 cylinders, high pressure hoses are supposed to be hydro tested after 5 years. Most places do not have the equipment to do this, and they get replaced. Now since your not going to be bringing the hose in the get filled, only you are the police for the hose.

Is it possible? Yes. Would I do it on my home? Not for a second.

Also, I'd try and do a little research before you just drill a hole in the side of the fridge. Nothing worse than hearing the sweet sound of freon go into the atmosphere as you convert a fridge into a paperweight.

You should heed the advice above--just run the line from the regulator through the collar into the keezer.

Many people will simply drill a hole and pass the line through--and that works fine.

I did something a bit different--I put a bulkhead shank through my keezer collar and connect the gas to the outside, and run a line from the inside to the manifold (or secondary regulators). I liked the cleaner design, and the ability to easily disconnect and move the keezer and collar if I wanted to do that.

Here's a link to the parts: https://www.chicompany.net/index.ph...ddfp5l0d04kjv0&keyword=bulkhead+shank&x=0&y=0

Here's a link to a keezer build I did for my son; it shows the bulkhead shank coming off the back of the keezer: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/easy-peasy-no-glue-keezer-build-with-lots-of-pics.632550/ There are several pics showing how I did it.

k4.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back