New Kegerator finally.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
Found a great deal on a Magic Chef 4.5 CU.FT refrigerator.
Model # mcbr465s.
$167 at Home Depot ( clearance ).
Looks like an Oster clone - so I should be able to convert easily.

I did the math and measurements, and it should hold 2 Cornies and co2 bottle and regulators easily. If I remove some of the door shelves ( which are removable ) I should be able to keep my brewing yeast and sourdough starters in there as well.

That fact alone will make SWMBO happy. Having her favorite hard lemonade on tap will also make her happy.

Doing the initial smoke test for warranty issues now. Should start cutting and drilling after I get my tower hardware next week.

TACkegr8r1.jpg
TACkegr8r2.jpg
TACkegr8r3.jpg

Additional Pix will follow, as will a How-To Guide if the process differs from the Oster conversion.

That temperature control looks awfully low. with the oster you have to relocate the temp control higher for clearance. When i converted my oster there wasn't a whole lot of slack in the wiring so i don't think you will be able to move it far enough out of the way to clear the top of a corny. i would try fitting everything in there before you start cutting holes just in case.

yeah that's the plan.
Letting it cook for a few days to make sure it doesn't kill itself before I do any irreversible mods. Will pop the door panel out and plop the kegs in to confirm everything fits tomorrow. It's a great little fridge, even if I can only put 1-5 and 1-2.5 or 3 gallon keg inside it's still perfect for how I'd use it.

Thanks for the advice... tis why I joined this forum.

edit: UPDATE:
Installing 2 five gallon kegs would need just a bit more room to make this work. :(

Moving the thermostat module is possible with a little extended wiring. Not going to worry about that at this time. Like I posted earlier -- this was a steal of a deal and I'm a little bit bummed, but this was a good exercise in DIY and reasonable goals/expectations. I'll go to plan B and see how that works.

looking back -- I probably should have coughed up the $$ for the Oster at Best Buy. Still, I can build a nice single tap for 1/2 the price of a single tap at Wally World - plop it on CL and sell if needed.
Time to RDWHAHB.

Did you finish the project? I bought the same unit but I am concerned about drilling through the top.

edit: UPDATE:
Installing 2 five gallon kegs would need just a bit more room to make this work. :

Is this with or without the door? Just curious (have sanyo 4912 conversion, just in case anyone else is looking at this fridge).

Have you seen the corn starch slurry method for checking for lines on the top? I don't think you mentioned if you were going for a tower or cobra taps, but if you do a search on it (or sanyo 4912 conversion) it should pop up. Hope it turns out well! Post the results!!!

i have this same fridge and am converting it... what did y'all do about the line going into the frezer box?? can it be cut??

I just found someone willing to sell this fridge for $70 on CL. He says it doesn't have a freezer, which sounds perfect.

Does a collar needs to be added to fit two 5 gal cornies, or would removing the interior door panel and replacing it with a flat piece of plastic do the trick?

A collar? I know people are doing that on freezers but had no idea on side mounted doors- have you seen this done?

Back