new kegerator & beer is FLAT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrp3

Reaction score
I just started kegging and converted a freezer to a kegerator. It will hold 4 kegs, the CO2 tank, and a case of bottles, so I'm pretty happy with it. The problem is the carbonation level of the beer. The CO2 is set at 10 psi, which my "Volumes of CO2" table says is middle of the road. However, the beer is flat. Is the table wrong, or might I have another problem? Any thoughts from the collective would be appreciated.

I know this may be stupid to ask... but sometimes its the simpliest things you dont think about... have you checked to make sure you have the main c02 cutoff on the regulator open... sometimes I forget to reopen this valve when I am messing with my kegs...

Jester

Have you re-checked the regulator setting? Many regulators put inside the fridge shrink when cooled, and the pressure drops- like from 10 to 2psi, so you have to set it cold.

Jester - I actually did forget to turn the valve back on for about 24 hours after I put everything in the fridge. But, today makes a full week since then and everything should be carbed up by now. One keg had been plugged into the CO2 tank for over a month prior to going in the fridge with excellent carbonation, but now it's almost completely flat. Is it because of the temp change and more CO2 being able to go into the beer? For some reason, it seems counter-intuitive to me that the beer would be flat now, rather than more carbonated. Or am I thinking backward?:confused:

Since beer holds more CO2 when it is colder a properly carbonated keg will seem flat when chilled. Releasing the pressure by pouring a pint will result in less of a head. I have this problem in aces when I swap the soda water keg. I pressurize it to 35 psi at room temp., but after 12 hours in the fridge, it's flat. Takes another day to get back to the level I like.

OK, I think I understand the beer "going flat" after refridgeration. But, it's been in there a week, hooked up to the CO2, and it's still pretty flat. Even with a vigorous pour, there is only a skim of a head on the beer and that's gone within a minute. I upped the pressure on the tank to 11 or 12 psi tonight. Should I expect improvement by tomorrow night?

Back