NEW INVENTION: How to Keep Your Poured Beer Carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyjim

Reaction score
Ever have that last beer at the end of the night and pour it, but get about 2 sips in and then think...... F.... I have to be up for work tomorrow. Solution???

A Mason Jar.

That's right folks. Pour your beer in a mason jar, put the cap on, and put it back in the fridge. When you come home from work the next day, you'll have a fully carbonated cold beer that will be soo good when it hits your lips.

Found this out when I came home from work today. I should patent this.

Could start carbonating beer in mason jars and selling it. Call it Blackshine to mess with all of the tv addicts?

Unless the jar is full it would just offgas and equalize the pressure? Like a half full soda bottle.

cbzdel said:
Unless the jar is full it would just offgas and equalize the pressure? Like a half full soda bottle.

Flip-top bottle sounds better at that rate.

Craft-beer-and-Mason-jars.jpeg

Mason jars are designed to hold negative pressure, not positive pressure. This isn't exactly a new technique, or a very effective one :p

Mason jars are designed to hold negative pressure, not positive pressure. This isn't exactly a new technique, or a very effective one :p

Just because their design and intended use is to hold a vacuum, that does not automatically mean it won't hold a positive pressure as well. It won't be as good a a flip top, but it should work fine, as it obviously did for the OP

Doesn't mean it won't, but doesn't mean it always will. The screw top portion is not designed to and does not do particular good job of seating the rubber seal against the rim of the jar. Suction creates the seal. The screw top is only there to keep the lid in position. Sure it might work, but there are better options.

I asked my local brew store the other day if anyone ha bottle in Masson jars. And they said not that they know of. I am going to try it on my next batch. Will it hold the pressure??

I asked my local brew store the other day if anyone ha bottle in Masson jars. And they said not that they know of. I am going to try it on my next batch. Will it hold the pressure??

NOOOOOO!

There was a thread recently where one of the guys who brews for a micro (Nightshade?) had a jar of yeast explode in their fridge. I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple nights ago. I had a quart jar of yeast from a starter that I had neglected to wash (never decanted and added boiled water to put them to sleep). I forgot about it in the back of the fridge for a couple months. The other night I nudged it while looking for something and it went off like a bomb. There were pieces of glass on the other side of the room (I miraculously had no glass injuries). The force of the explosion sliced off the top half off the bottle of beer sitting next to the jar.

The lesson here is that MASON JARS WILL NOT WITHSTAND FERMENTATION PRESSURES. Don't store yeast unless it's properly conditioned and never try to carbonate in one.

EDIT: The thread I was thinking of was started by Daksin and it was yeast stored in a growler, not a mason jar, but regardless neither is meant to withstand pressure and should not be used. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/psa-please-stop-carbonating-growlers-446554/

I guess I could just man up and drink it, but if you're not man enough it sure is a good temporary solution. The jar was 2/3 full and upon drinking the next day, had lost a small ammount of carbonation but was surprisingly still good. Certainly only good as a nice easy, quick, temporary solution.

Back