New IIPA recipe - The Four Horsemen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarbonTom

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying something new out and wanted to make a new IIPA. How does this look? Am I not using enough hops for the burst and dry hop? Also am I shooting too low for mash temps for this style? Any other suggestions to change? I am planning on making this with 2nd gen pitch of the Yeast Bay's Vermont Ale yeast I have had sitting around, either that or San Diego super yeast, that stuff is amazing.

Thanks

Hop.PNG

Agreed over 15% is a lot of crystal for any beer let alone an IPA. I'd drop the carapils entirely and go with something like 0.5-.75 lb of either the caramunich or C-40. I'd also take half the dry hop and do a hop stand with it.

Great thanks for the suggestions! Should I make the 5 min addition be earlier for more of a flavor addition? Like 15 min? Hop stand is just addition at flame out and stand before chilling right?

For hop forward beers, lately my kettle hops have been a bittering addition to pick up IBU's then nothing until a big 10 minute addition followed by an equally large amount of whirlpool hops. Still tweaking the process (isn't that what makes it fun), but pretty happy with the results.

For hop forward beers, lately my kettle hops have been a bittering addition to pick up IBU's then nothing until a big 10 minute addition followed by an equally large amount of whirlpool hops. Still tweaking the process (isn't that what makes it fun), but pretty happy with the results.

That is exactly what makes it fun! I will alter the addition to be 10 min and cut the dryhop in half and do a hop stand (since I dont have whirlpool capabilities)

Back