New house? PLUS BEER ROOM???!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
So SWMBO and I have been looking at houses (figuring this is a damn good time to buy of course). We had started to lose hope when a nice looking house popped on the market Saturday (5/2). We immediately wanted to go see it, went and saw it Sunday (5/3), and had the offer drawn up and put in by Sunday night (so yeah, the same night I am writing this). It would seem that we have a pretty good chance of getting this place, and while we've learned to not get our hopes up, we are more hopeful on this one than any of the others we have liked.

Onto the good stuff: the place has a 'bonus room' that is not counted in the sq ft of the house, but it is quite big. I keep telling SWMBO I want a beer room, and this is just perfect!

normal_house_1_%286%29.jpg

normal_house_1_%287%29.jpg

Tons of room for a keezer setup, brewing space, fermentation chiller. The whole 9 yards! I guess I just have to be able to afford all the bells and whistles once we buy the place :drunk:

Wish me luck!

Congrats! That's one of the reasons why I'm trying to collect all of my beer equipment before I buy a house... that way girlfriend HAS to allow space for it! (Though she has already said at least a bar area for the keezer is required)

I'm pretty jealous, but my beer room doubles as a guest bedroom, so it's mostly a beer closet with random brewing stuff scattered on top of the bed. The kegerator lives in the family room. Best of luck, and I agree that you need to try to collect everything before closing on the house. If not, you'll end up buying stuff like hose nozzles, grass seed, and paint. It took me 6 months to make the switch to AG after moving.

DSCF8010.jpg

DSCF8011.jpg

DSCF8016.jpg

Unfortunately I won't be able to accumulate any more until we move. I've been capped for buying more stuff for now :( It's cool, we really don't have the room for it right now anyway!

The house might come with a slightly older apartment sized fridge we'll replace in the kitchen, so I'll be able to snag that for the beerery.

Here's hoping you get it :mug:

SWMBO and I have been looking forever as well, we're just about fed up with the whole process.

Where abouts in SD is that place?

Very nice! I love having my own home to do with what I want. I actually have 3 rooms with beer stuff now. One dedicated beer room (6X8 or so) that I store most everything in, has the kegorator as well. There's another room that my wife calls the "Laundry room" but we really know it is the "Brewing Room" as it has the electric brew-rig in it. Also has a couple large white metal boxy things used for something or other. I also use my very messy office as a grain storage room. (Buckets and ammo boxes).

I guess my long winded point is... get plenty of space for beer stuff!

SWMBO and I have already agreed, our next house will have a dedicated brew room, a bar, and a room dedicated to her hobby (scrapbooking). Right now most of the fermenters are in the guest room and I have to move them out every time someone stays with us, and she is running out of storage space for her goodies. Not to mention all the equipment which is piled up in the garage. :drunk:

Here's hoping you get it :mug:

SWMBO and I have been looking forever as well, we're just about fed up with the whole process.

Where abouts in SD is that place?

Can't tell you that, you might steal it away from me! :p

I'm as much excited about the beerery (I kinda like that name...) as I am about the garage. I'm a big car nut and love to work on cars. I have a race car my parents have been patiently storing for me for the last coupe of years. It would be great to not have to drive 100 miles to go work on it!

Why is it not counted in the sq. footage? Just wondering. We have a 12x12 windows all around room on the 3rd floor called a "cupola" which is kind of a lookout room but the dimensions were on the MLS but the tax assessor does not count it as there is no heat even though it does have stairwell access with no door and is completely finished. Where you live I assume you have no need for heat and AC is not required, right?

I know in my neck of the woods (maybe all over?) they don't count basements as part of the square footage, this is in taxes as well as when you buy/sell (would that be the MDS?). So even though I bought a house with a full finished basement the square footage is just the main floor. They do get to list it as having 5 bedrooms etc. even if 2 of those are in the basement and not counted in the square footage.

Why is it not counted in the sq. footage? Just wondering. We have a 12x12 windows all around room on the 3rd floor called a "cupola" which is kind of a lookout room but the dimensions were on the MLS but the tax assessor does not count it as there is no heat even though it does have stairwell access with no door and is completely finished. Where you live I assume you have no need for heat and AC is not required, right?

It's not really a room, per se. It's the modular wall paneling stuff, not wood and dry wall real wall type of thing. I figure at some point we'd full convert it. It's also an non-permitted expansion, so we'd have to actually go through the whole process for that. For now it remains a very well enclosed patio.

As for the heat/AC, this is a little further inland than I've lived for a while, so we may need AC in the summer, but probably only in the living room, where is already a large window unit. And there is a gas furance, though I doubt we'll use it much.

Leave some money in the budget to get rid of that paneling!

See above about the paneling... :drunk:

Looks like we might be outbid after all :( Find out tomorrow supposedly, keeping my fingers crossed anyway!

Looks like we might be outbid after all :( Find out tomorrow supposedly, keeping my fingers crossed anyway!
Do you feel that the house is worth a higher offer? Commonly with houses that get multiple offers, the seller will allow the first offerer to increase their offer, this allows the first bidder to buy the house if they want, and sparks a bidding war which gets the seller more money.

It seems that the seller is not looking to bother with a counter, and with the state of the kitchen we don't feel we can offer any more and stay in budget :( Maybe we'll be the back up in case the first buyer backs out.

Well, there are a great deal of homes on the market, just give it some time.

We bought our house in September after about a month of me doing a great deal of research. There were only 4 houses that were in our price range and looked acceptable on paper. After looking at the first two that were either destroyed or weird, we found one that was totally 70's and the outside needed some work, but was liveable and had great bones. We decided to check out #4 which was a disaster, and put in our offer on the 70's one because it felt good and it was the only option at the time. Within 6 months I found several houses that were nicer than the one we bought and I've regretted buying the one we ended up with. I'm not saying that the house we have isn't great, but EVERYTHING basically needs to be revamped to make it what we want (new floors, kitchen, landscaping, outside paint, doors, bathrooms, etc) and we could have ended up with something that fit us better had we waited a while.

They did counter afterall, and it was a TERRIBLE counter. They are obviously getting greedy and trying to start a bidding war, we shall have no part of it. Bye bye beerery :(

Aww man that sucks, well here's to your search, I am sure something else perfect will come along!

They did counter afterall, and it was a TERRIBLE counter. They are obviously getting greedy and trying to start a bidding war, we shall have no part of it. Bye bye beerery :(

We lost 3 houses, two over losing the bid and another the seller changed their mind about selling. I AM SO GLAD TODAY WE DID NOT GET ANY OF TEHM!!!!! We found a way, way much better house and are so, so happy things worked out as they did.

Oh, one more thing. The two properties I do have we did get into bidding wars over (why does that always seem to happen??) and both times I decided to go 5-10k over my last bid just to ensure I got them once I knew I really had what I wanted. 5-10k is a lot of money I know, but if you think about it in the long run that is easily recouped and you have what you want. The house we have now went into a closed bid. Sad thing is the other bid was only like $200 more than their last one. Oh well, I don't have a crystal ball but I do have the house.
I think what is important to consider is how long you plan to live there. If you plan on being there the rest of your life a good deal is important but maybe not priority. If you have a job where you always seem to relocate I wouldn't care so much about the house or property.
Good Luck, we thought house hunting would be fun but after two years of searching for the right place it sucked but in the end we are happy.

Back