New Homebrewing YouTube Channel - Seeking feedback!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasteofliam

Reaction score
Hi all! Hope everyone is safe and well going into pandemic year 2.
I recently started a YouTube channel that is centered around all things beer & brewing, and am looking for some feedback from fellow brewers!
I have always been so drawn to content creation in many forms, and even worked in professional special effects for awhile, so video is something I am extremely passionate about. That being said I recently decided to merge that with my other hugely consuming passion: brewing. With a focus on high quality and production value, but still hoping to educate and share some brewing knowledge and information with the internet.

I'll share a couple recent videos below, and I am hoping to see how they come across to y'all.
How ingestible is the content?
How is the quality?
Do you enjoy watching it or does it seem more like a chore?
Thoughts on the formatting and layout of each video?

And as a bonus here is a little joke skit I made just for fun! Not to throw shade at any hazy fans(I am a big one myself) but just to snag some low-hangin fruit, in the spirit of humor.

Any and all constructive feedback is welcomed! Thanks!

Good video. I watched the pilz episode.
Here are some thoughts-
- I like that you kept it around the 10 min mark. Many brewing videos are over 25 min and that’s usually just brewing one beer not necessarily covering a topic (like a podcast).
- when watching a recipe brew video I want to see how the beer turned out and your perception of it. I don’t want to wait and have to watch another episode to see it.
- I also watched the comedy skit and thought it was hilarious. I think there’s a niche for that hobby specific humor.

Good video. I watched the pilz episode.
Here are some thoughts-
- I like that you kept it around the 10 min mark. Many brewing videos are over 25 min and that’s usually just brewing one beer not necessarily covering a topic (like a podcast).
- when watching a recipe brew video I want to see how the beer turned out and your perception of it. I don’t want to wait and have to watch another episode to see it.
- I also watched the comedy skit and thought it was hilarious. I think there’s a niche for that hobby specific humor.
Thanks man really appreciate the feedback. I totally agree with the first 2 points but unfortunately they seem to contradict each other haha.
That being said I am switching to a format as of Ep. 3 wherein the beer is done prior to recording, and I can re-cap the entire process, and show the finished product all in 1 episode. Totally agree on that. The issue is doing all of that in 10-15 minutes as opposed to 2 episodes worth of time, but that's something for me to figure out!

Thanks for sharing I subscribed. I thought the quality of the video and audio were both quite good. I agree with the point that I want to see the results too. Especially pertinent if your show is going to be about how you can get away with cutting a few corners to turn the beer around faster.

That said I'd appreciate getting a sense of other things you have tried in the past that didn't quite work and how you have ultimately arrived at this version of the recipe and process. Like maybe you tried before fermenting a lager at this temperature with this yeast and it was pretty good, but not quite what you were looking for, but then you tried brewing same recipe with two packs of yeast and the three pinches of brewing salts and bang you nailed it... I've thought about this a few times when I listen to the BN. Jamil has been threatening to update Brewing Classic Styles, every time he gets started on that path I want to say to just get rid of most of the recipes and give me 10-15 articles on things he tried that failed on his way to perfecting just a single recipe. Sort of like they way Cooks Illustrated walks through recipe development. The ideas that didn't quite work as hoped are really useful information.

Thanks for sharing I subscribed. I thought the quality of the video and audio were both quite good. I agree with the point that I want to see the results too. Especially pertinent if your show is going to be about how you can get away with cutting a few corners to turn the beer around faster.

That said I'd appreciate getting a sense of other things you have tried in the past that didn't quite work and how you have ultimately arrived at this version of the recipe and process. Like maybe you tried before fermenting a lager at this temperature with this yeast and it was pretty good, but not quite what you were looking for, but then you tried brewing same recipe with two packs of yeast and the three pinches of brewing salts and bang you nailed it... I've thought about this a few times when I listen to the BN. Jamil has been threatening to update Brewing Classic Styles, every time he gets started on that path I want to say to just get rid of most of the recipes and give me 10-15 articles on things he tried that failed on his way to perfecting just a single recipe. Sort of like they way Cooks Illustrated walks through recipe development. The ideas that didn't quite work as hoped are really useful information.
I appreciate your feedback and honest opinions! Definitely going to be showing results from now on, that's very helpful to know. I do like the idea of sharing past experiences, the only issue is that I have to be careful because I can talk forever, but I will quickly talk TOO much and take up too much time. That being said maybe it could be a series by itself? All good thoughts.

YouTube is not the most effective medium for recipes. It’s most effective to explain process and technique or to show visual results (like clarity).

For example, explain what is lagering and how does it affect clarity. Then show the results after each week and see how clear the beer gets. Similarly you could do something regarding dry hopping levels haziness.

YouTube is not the most effective medium for recipes. It’s most effective to explain process and technique or to show visual results (like clarity).

For example, explain what is lagering and how does it affect clarity. Then show the results after each week and see how clear the beer gets. Similarly you could do something regarding dry hopping levels haziness.
Fair point, that being said the channel is actually not built around sharing brewing recipes, but more so tying folks into my process in a way that may be entertaining. The challenge of making a good tasting, clear beer in 10 days is more of a novelty than a "How to Make Beer Correctly" kinda deal, but that's where the entertainment value comes in, both for me and for the viewer.
There's lots of resources for folks out there who just want clear cut and detailed information on brewing, but I may tie into some of these more detailed experiments in the future. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hey man,
I am looking forward to seeing the videos, but the link is not working.... please give the name of your channel, and I will check it out.
Thanks!

I’ve been watching your videos and they are really good and informative, and since you have been brewing for a year you are doing a fantastic job. Keep em coming!

After watching for a while I would suggest including the tasting and the brewing into one video. The videos don't have to get longer if you use some judicious planning and editing.

I just watched (most of) the "10 day pilsner" video and its tasting video. I don't watch a whole lot on youtube, so I might not be the target audience (that sounds as if I was a hundred years old; I'm actually 30, but whatever), but since you asked for feedback I'll provide some:

- I really like the vibe of the videos, they strike a good balance between "handheld camera showing a dudes chin as he stirs the mash" and "overproduced hipster crap" (two categories that, to me at least, cover a good deal of homebrew videos on youtube)
- the speed/pacing is good: the video doesn't "dwell" too long on individual shots, but it's also not the kind of ultra flashy "100 different shots per minute" video that one often finds.
- you speak very fluently without unnecessary/unintentional pauses; For me, the number of cuts is bordering on the upper limit, but the fact that you can utter multiple sentences without a cut already kind of makes you stand out among most youtubers, so kudos!
- you have good presence on the screen and manage to keep the viewer's attention (at least in my case)
- again, you strike a good balance between information and humour: it's fun to watch without being silly and the comedy doesn't come across as forced and never detracts from the actual content
- As far as content is concerned, I think there wasn't too much information for the seasoned homebrewer, but that's fine considering the format - if I wanted to read a scientific article, I wouldn't go on youtube. I didn't really get the idea behind the "10 days challenge", but that's just me.

So all in all, I enjoyed the videos and I'll continue watching your channel for updates that are more in line with my own brewing interest. And honestly I'll probably also watch you brew some stuff I don't care for, just because the videos are fun and you come across as likeable (in spite of a slight "fratbro" vibe, if I may say so). Nice job, I certainly couldn't do that!

Cheers from Munich,
Daniel

Back