California New home brewer trying to get a job at brewery, but don't know where to look

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad32brewing

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this but it's the best one I thought. So I am a senior in college and got into homebrewing during the pandemic. I have brewed 5 beers so far and have fallen in love with it. Due to classes being online I have lots of time on my hands and I would love to work at a brewery doing anything in the beer-making process. Does anyone know where is the best place to look for beer industry jobs? Thanks.

I think you're in for some ridiculous competition but go for it, especially if it is something that you're passionate about! I do recall seeing that Modern Times hiring for their new LA location. This might give you a better idea of the qualifications you might expect to see in the industry?

https://modern-times-beer.breezy.hr/p/83b14f7aad37-brewer-ii

Take this with a grain of salt. Most of the brewers and bartenders I‘m friends with chatted with the brewmaster, brought samples, asked questions and applied when there was an opening. Different breweries run things very differently though. Some won’t talk to you unless you have a degree in zymurgy. Others are looking for people that are very enthusiastic.

Good luck

Edit: Just be prepared to do a boatload of cleaning. Literally 95% of what goes on in the brewery is cleaning unless your in sales and distribution. Smaller breweries usually have a small crew that do all of the above including serve.

Stop at your local brewery and ask them if they need any help washing kegs or any odd jobs. Bring some of your brew to share. That gets your foot in the door and little by little you’ll get to help with more brew day tasks. If you have any plumbing or mechanical skills that’s a huge plus

Honestly, I am not even looking to get payed, I just want to work and learn. I would be fine getting paid in grains, hops, and yeast for my own homebrewing so that may be enticing to them. I know it's going to be a lot of cleaning, but that's ok, I just want to be around it.

Being interested, willing to work and excited about learning should make it an easy way to get your foot in door. Once your in you can go from there. Friend of mine just got picked up from my area in Cali to manage a taproom brewery in Colorado.

Being interested, willing to work and excited about learning should make it an easy way to get your foot in door. Once your in you can go from there. Friend of mine just got picked up from my area in Cali to manage a taproom brewery in Colorado.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm writing about. While the initial pay may not be great, think long term.

Not trying to dissuade you in anyway but remember once you start brewing beer as a pro it becomes a job...and for me that would take the joy out of it.

Also, while the process is the same there are more rules and regulations to follow and if you're working for someone elses Brewery that's their money not yours. Don't be surprised if they don't pay you in grain, hops and yeast.

Not trying to dissuade you in anyway but remember once you start brewing beer as a pro it becomes a job...and for me that would take the joy out of it.

In a '60's movie ( Elliott Gould was in it but the title escapes me) there is a cocktail party where a medical student is telling his friends that he will become a gynecologist, because he likes women so much. The Gould character says "well, hell, I like to fish but I don't want to work on a tuna boat".

In a '60's movie ( Elliott Gould was in it but the title escapes me) there is a cocktail party where a medical student is telling his friends that he will become a gynecologist, because he likes women so much. The Gould character says "well, hell, I like to fish but I don't want to work on a tuna boat".
Funny because there's a lot of truth in it.

In CO, breweries are hiring all the time. Be willing to take a warehouse, bottling, or other entry level job, and get to know the right people from there. Get a brewing education, while working. Siebel is a golden ticket.

Back