New Home Basement Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm horribly disappointed that you used ugly wooden racks in your brew space. Destroys the whole look!

Nah, just kidding. Very nice! I built the home I live in and when I see the unfinished basement pics it takes me back.

Makes me want to build another home....

Glad you like it. I thought about pre-made tables and racks but they were too hard to get to fit exactly the way I wanted in the work shop. The wood is sturdy but I am concerned about how the tops will hold up over time with all of the moisture from the reef tank and beer/wine making. I have a few coats of varnish on it. If it becomes a problem I can always put steel or stone down over it.

I made all of the plans and worked on building most of the stuff myself. I hired a helper for the shelving in the workshop and used contractors to finish the basement and build the bar. Also hired professional reef tank movers but that was still a huge pain in the ass. Lost most of the coral and fish. I set up all of the brew stuff and am very happy with the brewery layout and the tap set up. My first few batches of beer were not very good, drinkable, but not great. On a SNPA clone I accidentally sparged too hot and have strong tannins. I am also getting used to my well water; used to have city water. I find it easier to use RO water and rebuild the water profile to the beer style. My RO filter crapped out so I added water salts and calcium to already hard water. I think I have it all fixed now. My dark beers came out great.

I was considering using a glyco line to the taps as I already have a glyco chiller running for my fermenters. The box under the taps is not very big and its well insulated so just the small fan works fine. No foamy or warm first beers. I also ran copper tubes around the lines in the towers that the fan blows on and added insulation to the towers.

Now it's time to relax and have a beer. Cheers!

Reef tank looks nice. Had a 220 gallon reef set up for years. Sometimes I miss it....than my wallet reminds me why I don't. LOL

:mad:
Reef tank looks nice. Had a 220 gallon reef set up for years. Sometimes I miss it....than my wallet reminds me why I don't. LOL

Yup - I jokingly told my wife it's cheaper than a mistress. Not sure if that's true but my family loves the tank and they enjoy helping me pick out coral frags and fish.

When I moved the professional tank movers killed about $25k in coral. They apologized and gave me about $300 in frags to start over with. :( On the bright side, its nice to have a chance to start fresh.

Are you required to have a sprinkler system in your basement? Or was that something you wanted just to be on the safe side? I haven't seen/encountered a finished residential basement with a sprinkler system.

Are you required to have a sprinkler system in your basement? Or was that something you wanted just to be on the safe side? I haven't seen/encountered a finished residential basement with a sprinkler system.

The sprinkler system came with our newly built Ryan home. We finished the basement after closing. My understanding is that its required as a fairly new Maryland code, if the basement is finished or not. We are on well water and the builder was required to have a stagnate water tank, I would guess around 500 gallons on a pump. We have a whole house generator that the sprinkler system pump is on.

With the reef tank stuff, brewing and a bunch of other electronics in the basement I am glad the sprinkler system is there. Especially the reef tank as the salt eats away at the electric connections.

The sprinkler system came with our newly built Ryan home. We finished the basement after closing. My understanding is that its required as a fairly new Maryland code, if the basement is finished or not. We are on well water and the builder was required to have a stagnate water tank, I would guess around 500 gallons on a pump. We have a whole house generator that the sprinkler system pump is on.

With the reef tank stuff, brewing and a bunch of other electronics in the basement I am glad the sprinkler system is there. Especially the reef tank as the salt eats away at the electric connections.
That does seem like a new code. I don't recall anyone out there having a system when I lived there in 2012-2013. It is a good thing to have in any space you brew/cook in IMHO. Cost/SF goes up but should help out on insurance bill. Definitely a sweet set-up. Wish I had the SF to do something like that. Basements in Texas are nearly non-existent.

:mad:

Yup - I jokingly told my wife it's cheaper than a mistress. Not sure if that's true but my family loves the tank and they enjoy helping me pick out coral frags and fish.

When I moved the professional tank movers killed about $25k in coral. They apologized and gave me about $300 in frags to start over with. :( On the bright side, its nice to have a chance to start fresh.

Dude that whole set up you have is awesome! ......by the way did I read that right 25k as in 25 thousand dollars in coral reef ???:eek:

Dude that whole set up you have is awesome! ......by the way did I read that right 25k as in 25 thousand dollars in coral reef ???:eek:

Yes, but with lots of asterisk. Generally speaking a quarter sized head or frag of coral goes anywhere from ten bucks to a grand depending on how desirable it is. I started with maybe a dozen heads worth around $50 each. Over the ten plus years the tank was running those small frags grew to about 500 heads. Don't think I could have sold all 500 to any one person or shop at the full retail price, but could sell a few at a time on eBay at round that price. Part of the reason they cost what they do is they are mostly tank grown and those tanks are expensive to run and the coral grows slowly.

I have added about twenty or so frags and will grow the tank out again over the next few years.
:mug:

Yes, but with lots of asterisk. Generally speaking a quarter sized head or frag of coral goes anywhere from ten bucks to a grand depending on how desirable it is. I started with maybe a dozen heads worth around $50 each. Over the ten plus years the tank was running those small frags grew to about 500 heads. Don't think I could have sold all 500 to any one person or shop at the full retail price, but could sell a few at a time on eBay at round that price. Part of the reason they cost what they do is they are mostly tank grown and those tanks are expensive to run and the coral grows slowly.

I have added about twenty or so frags and will grow the tank out again over the next few years.
:mug:

Wow man , that is crazy . They definitely look beautiful.

Really impressive place. I could handle that being my whole house, and it's just your basement!

My 2nd wife is fairly laid back. I gave her the larger corner office in the house and did the basement the way I wanted it with a smaller office in it for me. She is from China and used to the squatty potties. She asked why we needed two toilets and I explained the urinal was for #1 only and used less water (I own a water conservation company). She asked why it was so high off of the ground and I explained it was only for men. At a housewarming party my female business partner came out of the bathroom and proclaimed she was the first girl to use the urinal. My wife was was like - dude, you told me I couldn't use that. I don't know if she has been using it since. ;)

china-squatty-potty.jpg

Latest posts

Back