new here what up!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocHolidaze

Reaction score
I just home brewed my first batch with one of those Mr beer kits. i followed the directions exactly or at least exactly how i perceived said directions, but when i was mixing the activator into the water i added honey thinking it would give it a higher alcohol percentage, i had one of those malt cans blonde ale, does anybody have any advice, critique, experiences or anything they want to share on the mr beer kits and there use, or even good recipes for them i would like to here about it

I also have a mr beer kit and getting ready to bottle my first batch but I followed the videos instead of the instruction booklet. But I didn't add honey I would think it would make it sweater and not make it add more alcohol. Cheers!

i was thinking since honey is a sugar, more sugar more alcohol, i could be wrong, good looking out

I have never used Mr. Beer but I believe there is a sticky in the beginners section that may answer some of your questions about it. Also Honey is highly fermentable so it will up the alcohol and won't cause any sweetness, it will change the flavor though, just look up mead making.

I too use Mr Beer. That is a lot of sugar in relation to malt and can lead to a cidery, dry beer. Try to keep your fermenting temperatures down below 70. You will want to leave it in the LBK for around 3 weeks so the yeast can clean up after themselves and help the flavors. Then let sit at least 3 weeks in bottles. I added sugar to my first batch to try to boost the ABV and almost 3 months later the flavor is still not so good. Next time, get a pound of Dry Malt Extract (DME) from a homebrew store. You will get higher alcohol and better flavor that route. Welcome to the obsession! :mug:

so since i put in extra honey im gonna want to give it about a month? thanks for the advice on the dme im gonna look into that:mug:

Others with more experience with honey can comment, but you'll definitely want to give tue brew some extra time to ferment because of the fermentable aspects of the honey.

I'd say give the beer at least an extra week over what tue recipe calls for. That is, depends on how muchhoney you added.

Others with more experience with honey can comment, but you'll definitely want to give tue brew some extra time to ferment because of the fermentable aspects of the honey.

I'd say give the beer at least an extra week over what tue recipe calls for. That is, depends on how muchhoney you added.

i think i put about a cup in

Added honey or sugar to you brew doesn't all way bump up the alcohol percentage if their is not enough yeast to eat the sugar doesn't matter home sugar/honey you put in. Did you use the yeast packet that came in the kit?

Added honey or sugar to you brew doesn't all way bump up the alcohol percentage if their is not enough yeast to eat the sugar doesn't matter home sugar/honey you put in. Did you use the yeast packet that came in the kit?

yes

Back