New here. Smoked shoulder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMichels

Reaction score
Thought I'd show off one of the pork shoulders I smoked this weekend. 15 hour smoke. Turned out amazing. Homemade rub, served with a homemade mustard bbq sauce.

4825133468_c2d9917b33_b.jpg

Damn I'm hungry! I need to make another one of those. Last one was a few weeks ago. I have to get the process down pat. I'm still not used to 12+ hours of cooking!

I put mine on at midnight. Make sure the temp. is stable, then go to bed and get up at about 7 or so. I made some mods to my little cheap smoker and I can get about 255 for 13-15 hours on one fill of fuel. Once you get the smoker dialed in, it's pretty much just set it and forget it. (Other than spritzing and turning once)

The bark came out really nice on this one. I've started to spritz mine with apple juice pretty heavily every couple of hours after 6 or 7 hours in and it seems to set a really nice bark.

I have not spritzed yet. My smoker is also electric and I have no problem with the temp being high enough. I just usually get started late and after 8 hours I'm ready to eat but the food is not!

I have spread mustard all over and then coated with rub and let it go. When the first round of chips is gone, turn it over and put on the second.

I have thought about slicing the meat in half on those days where I need to get it done a little sooner. Not sure how that would affect the final product.

That looks good. Everyone looked at me funny when I started licking the monitor.

Back