New guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumpchuck27

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here and just finished bottling my first batch of home brew. My fiance got me a craft brew kit for xmas and I just got around to using it. It was fairly easy to use, again first timer, but I did find that I was only able to fill about 8.5 bottles. I am not sure what I expected, as it is only a 1 gallon kit. I would like to be able to at some point be able to brew larger batches. Is it worth buying a new bigger kit at some point or can I just get a bigger carboy and keep using what I have. Also, does anyone have suggestions for places to get supplies, including recipes and hops, etc.?

Thanks in advance for the info. Sorry if these are redundant questions. Go easy, I'm a rookie!

IMO you'll need at least a 3.5 gallon boil kettle, at least a 6.5 gallon fermenter (carboy or bucket), a bottling bucket (assuming you will bottle - probably at least 5.5 gallons), and siphoning equipment (probably an auto siphon sized for the fermenter) to brew 5 gallon batches. Thermometer, hydrometer, capper, etc. from your kit can be re-used. All this assumes extract brewing. Go for it.

Welcome and congrats on your first brew! With out knowing what you have for equipment in the first place it is quite difficult to answer your first question. As far as obtaining equipment goes you can check the for sale area on this site, craigslist, online shopping at Northern Brewer, Midwest supplies, and a whole bunch other sites. Check and see if your area has a local Homebrew Club, these guys will be able to tell you the best places to find ingredients in your area. Our local co-op actually has a small inventory of homebrewing supplies. Your best bet thought would be to check and see if your town or area has a Home Brewers Club. Good Luck!:mug:

Thanks guys. That points me in the right direction. I don't have any experience in brewing so I needed a point of reference to start looking. I will look for a local club.

I have a 1 gallon car boy and a manual cyphon. The kit comes w an air lock and a capper. I used a pot from my kitchen to do the boiling. As I said in my original post, it was perfect for a small brew but not for a larger amount. We will see in about two weeks if the first brew was a success or not. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Welcome to the hobby/obsession! Your profile doesn't say where you are, but I'd recommend paying a visit to the Local Home Brew Shop (LHBS) if you have one nearby. They are usually staffed by folks who are into home brewing, and can help guide you in your questions and needs. :mug:

Back