New guy questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few friends who brew beer but the only person I ever knew that did wine moved along time ago. So I need some tips and advice to get started doing some mead. I'm pretty familiar with all the equipment. So what my questions are:

what is "raking"? It sounds to me like just mixing

what about adding fruits. I've been researching it but unfamiliar with some term. The way I understand it is you add your fruit when putting it into your carboy. But for how long? And what's the best way?

What about flovours? I've had rasberry but would like to do a strawberry or watermelon. Any good recipes? The carboy I'll be using is 3 gals.

Thanks for everything in advance and any other tips that you think would really help a new guy would greatly be appreciates.

Probably the best thing you can do is pick up Ken Schramm's book "The Compleat Meadmaker". He addresses your questions above.

Then make mead, using the concepts from that book as well as stepped nutrient additions and de-gassing. You can find information on both of those here on this forum or just by internet searches :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Double the recommendation for The Compleat Meadmaker. Very thorough book.

Racking isn't mixing, by the way. It's transferring the must/mead/wine from one fermentation vessel to another, leaving behind solids, yeast lees and such to improve clarity and prevent any off flavors from developing. There's more to it than that, but that's the basics.

Ken's book, the one mentioned above, has been the best mead book I've seen. It lays all the steps out in a way that is easy to follow and understand. It also gives mead history info that is interesting. I'm sure you will get a lot out of it.

When you do start a batch, the best thing you can do is don't over-complicate the process. Your first batch probably wont be your best ever. Trial and error is the best way to get your technique and style down. If you follow the basic guidelines you'll make good batches from the start that will improve with each batch.

I'm sure you have been told making the mead is the easiest part of the process--the time spent aging is the most difficult to endure;).

Another vital bit of information I will add is to use the staggered nutrient additions in the sticky on this site submitted by Hightest. Your ferment time will go from several months down to weeks! It provides a vigorous, healthy fermentation in the most optimal time frame. You'll be glad you used it.

Good luck to you and please post updates!

Mike

Thanks for all the help!! I'm going to order or find the book tonight. Gonna shoot for this weekend to give it a first go round if I can gather up everything.

Back