New Guy Nick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotType

Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm new to the beer brew world, but have been brewing Kombucha for a year so far with decent success. I'm starting out beer brewing with the easiest route in extract brewing, but will probably upgrade to BIAB and all grain by the end of the year.
My first recipe is an Oatmeal Milk Stout from the recipe forum that I began over two weeks ago. I bottled after fermentation slowed down on Monday, and it's sitting in a cooler in my garage until I crack the first one this weekend. I added a large scoop of dark chocolate to make it a chocolate milk oatmeal stout with 10 min to go in the boil.
1st taste was surprisingly good as a thicker stout with good chocolate flavor, est abv being around 5.5%.

Now, I have 3 gal of apple juice in the fermenter. It's been bubbling pretty decently for a few days, but I'm concerned since it's giving off a very strong apple smell. I used store bought instand dry yeast, which could be the issue.

Looking forward to learning this new process.

Welcome! (and fermenting apple juice is what turned me into a die hard homebrewing alcoholic! it's just so easy!) :mug:

i'd imagine with using baker's yeast, your only problem will be flocculation....

Maybe you could
Welcome! (and fermenting apple juice is what turned me into a die hard homebrewing alcoholic! it's just so easy!) :mug:

i'd imagine with using baker's yeast, your only problem will be flocculation....

As of right now, about three days into the fermentation, it's very cloudy. Nothing has begun settling yet. I have some wharlfloc tablets that I can throw in if need be. Is it supposed to cloud up a good deal?

Back