New guy need help with carbonator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trouble8732

Reaction score
Hi guys, I really hope someone here can help me. Ok so I decided to put a fountain drink machine in my house, so I purchased a 6 drink soda dispenser with a mccann carbonator. I connected everything and turned it all on, purged the tank just like the directions said to and once the carbonator turned on it would not turn off so I rechecked all connections and found a small leak in the tank were the fittings are welded on the tank, so I thought I had found the problem. Purchased a new tank off ebay connected it, purged it, no leaks, But it will not shut off either. I let it run for 3 minutes and unplugged it because in the setup instructions it says do not let it run longer than 60 seconds.. What am I doing wrong??

Is your water flowing into and out of the carbonator, and have you purged it?

Yes everything seems to be flowing fine.. Yes I opened the pressure valve until water spurted out then closed it, turned on co2 and adjusted valve to 100 psi, plugged in carbonator and dispensed water from the dispenser until carbonator turned on, I let it run for 3 minutes even though the directions said 60 seconds max. I dont know whats wrong.

ok so I just went back in and plugged the carbonator back up it run for about 30 seconds and shut off.. So I dispensed soda water until it came back on and it has run for 3 minutes without shutting off again so I unplugged it again. Could water pressure being to little or to much cause it to not shut off?

You need around 50PSI.. Anything less will cycle longer.
Water temperature is a factor.. Normal room or cold tap water temperature will also cause it to run a bit longer..

You need around 50PSI.. Anything less will cycle longer.
Water temperature is a factor.. Normal room or cold tap water temperature will also cause it to run a bit longer..

It is tap water going in. so letting it run longer will not explode the tank? sorry if thats a dumb question but had a friend get killed by a portable air tank so im a little cautious of these things..

A little longer is/should not be a problem, depending on what a little longer is..

My carbonator uses chilled water that flows through an Ice block, and the tank is also submerged in
a chilled water bath. Typical serve of 16-20 oz, cycle in about 15 seconds after the pour.

A little longer is/should not be a problem, depending on what a little longer is..

My carbonator uses chilled water that flows through an Ice block, and the tank is also submerged in
a chilled water bath. Typical serve of 16-20 oz, cycle in about 15 seconds after the pour.

Weill I bought this one off a guy who was using it in a vending trailer.. Its a 6 product dispenser that you have to put ice into the top to keep the coldplate cold.. but the water goes to the carbonator straight from the house.

I am a "beverage" service tech. Let me know if you're still having problems I'll try to help.

Back