New Growth in September?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rwings39

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Nick. I've visited these forums a few times, but this is my first post. Will post a formal intro soon, but had a question regarding my hops. I ordered a couple Cascade rhizomes last winter through MoreBeer and successfully grew them up in a small planter, and wound up harvesting a few ounces (dried) between the two.

The hops seemed to be ready earlier than I expected, harvesting the last of them June/July. I left the already harvested bines intact for a couple months (early-mid Sept), which had dried completely after warmer temperatures (Southern California) and neglecting watering sessions, in which case I cut them off at ground level a couple weeks ago.

Now, this past week I already notice quite a few new bines sprouting from the ground. After a few days the tallest is already over 6" tall.

This isn't normal, right? I expected a gap in growing seasons. It's only Fall and I already have new growth. I plan to cut these first bines back for the stronger second wave, and I'm not too concerned about our SoCal winters here. The most I get here is the occasional heavy rain. I'm just curious how best to handle this. If anyone else has had this happen? Is this a blessing or an issue to deal with?

Thank you for any feedback.

-Nick

Thanks for the reply. I cut the new growth back and waiting for the second flush to start selecting a few bines each.

Latest posts

Back