New From DC!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtremeWade

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just started this forum. Bought the intermediate kit from mid west brewing supplies and am ready to jump into this. I love good beer and want to make it myself. I just bought a floating thermometer and will have a stainless steel kettle on its way with a heat source soon too. I know I'm diving into the deep end but I see no other way. Its good to be here. I have so many questions about how to do this bu I am sure this website will guide me along just right.

/w

I guess one question I may start off with is that the intermediate kit came with 2, 5-galloon carboys and 2 5-gallaon fermenter buckets. Once I pour the beer to be fermented into the 5 gallon plastic bucket, when or why do I use the 5 gallon car boy? I am sorry ifmy order, terminology or other stuff here is wrong. Please help! I know using or making different ingredients / beers will call for different fermentation times, but I guess I am asking, when or how to use the plastic 5 gallon bucket then the 5 gallon glass car boy?

thanks!

wade

One is for primary and the other is for secondary fermentation. I skip the plastic and only use the glass carboy. Even if I need to do some dry hopping (hops added during fermentation) I just keep it in the same container. I have brewed 7 different beers so still new at this also. Plus it is cool to see the yeast in action in the glass carboy. Was told by my local brew shop owner that a lot of folks do the same. I live south of DC and visit a shop in Manassas called Jays brewing, great info and good service. Happy brewing!

Back