New fermenter... but what kind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've decided I'm done with glass. Been brewing in glass carboys for 8 years now, and while I have not had a catastrophe yet, I figure its only a matter of time. During last sunday's brew, I had to throw a carboy out due to a big crack I noticed on the bottom of the carboy. I know glass is great in terms of a cheap, sanitary vessel, but I don't want to risk it anymore.

Currently I ferment in a chest freezer (approx. 26'' L x 16" W x 29" tall plus a 8" collar). I have one carboy on the compressor hump and one on the floor of the freezer. 6.5 gal each. I usually brew 11ish gal of finished product in the fermenters.

I've been looking at simple buckets, the Spiedel 30L plastic fermenter from morebeer, the "fastferment" and then some stainless steel options such as the SStech brew bucket and some of those steel carboys. A SS conical would be nice, but they are pricey and not sure if they are worth it.

Basically I'd like to still be able to use my chest freezer, make the same quality beer that has been coming out of the glass carboys, have something that is easy to clean. The SStech brew bucket would be great but harvesting yeast out of that seems to be a pain (and its pricey). I like the fastferment but not sure how practical that design would be in my chest freezer. (Also not sure about that issue with the empty trap dumping a bunch of air into finished beer when dumping the trub and going back to collect yeast). The Spiedels look nice but I'm worried about sanitary issues with the spigot. Buckets are nice because they are very reasonable, but I've always been biased against them thinking they are "beginners equipment" (which I know is wrong).

Just looking for some opinions from others who have tried any of these, or something that you like that I haven't mentioned. If this is a permanent solution, I could spend up to $500, but would prefer to save money if I can. Another plus on the buckets... they are $15 and easily replaceable.

Anyway, thoughts? Thanks.

NB has a current offer, due to expire soon, $125 order and free Big Mouth Bubbler, 5 gallon or 6.5 gallon.

I'm looking to switch over to these buckets http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24116&catid=626. Screw top lids are claimed to be air tight vs. the typical leaky lid on an ale pale type bucket. Screw lids are also easier to remove than the clip on lids of typical buckets. With a simple step drill bit you can easily put whatever holes you need in the lid or bucket. Only about $12.50 for bucket + lid, shipping additional.

Brew on :mug:

Might I suggest finding a deal on craigslist for a sanke keg? I have been using these to ferment in now for around 8 months and my beer has no risk of of oxidation at all anymore - I push it out with co2 into the serving keg. Of course this suggestion implies that you already have kegs and a co2 tank. If not - just disregard this post. If you do check out brewhardware.com for their sanke fitting which can be customized to your needs...
http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermentor-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

Thanks for all the replies guys. The sanke keg is interesting but lifting 11gal + keg weight (well over 100lbs) over the side of my chest freezer could be challenging.

Those of you who use plastic, ever notice any off flavors?

The SSTech brew bucket does look nice, but for $225 I feel like you're halfway to the conical... its just hard to justify without the trub/yeast dump.

Hey guys,

The SStech brew bucket would be great but harvesting yeast out of that seems to be a pain (and its pricey).

I have 4 SS brew buckets - I love them. Harvesting yeast is one of the absolute easiest things about them. I can give you some tips (and I am sure others could too. I bought mine when they first came out, lower price and free shipping. I agree that they are getting pricey now....... Personally, I would definitely buy 2-3 brew buckets before I would ever buy a single conical. If the price is an issue on the SS buckets...... I previously used bottling buckets as fermenters. Still do for lots of beers - especially lagers, because they fit in my chamber better. They work great too - a bit more care is needed to make sure they are clean, etc. But, for all practical purposes, using a bottling bucket (or spiedel) is probably a cheaper SS bucket made of plastic). After the SS bucket, bottling buckets (or spiedel) would be my second choice of fermenter - I would use either before buying a conical - even if I had the money.

*The spigots are not a problem if you get a good routine down for using a bucket or spiedel that has one.

*I had V-vessels (like fast ferment) and I hated them. I think the fast ferment has solved some of the previous issues of the V-vessel..... but, if found them to be a PITA.

The SSTech brew bucket does look nice, but for $225 I feel like you're halfway to the conical... its just hard to justify without the trub/yeast dump.

I really thought this as well, half way to the chronical, why not drop the rest and buy the chronical. If getting your beer off the trub or harvesting is your first and most important requirement, then you'll want to go with something else. Since yeast harvesting and trub are not really that high on my list (probably 4th or 5th) the bucket is fantastic. When transfering to secondary or bottling bucket I definitely have a lot less trub transfer, if I allow primary fermentation to finish properly I can harvest yeast off the top of the trub cake with a big metal spoon.

I did a 1.108 wee heavy that was in the upper 70s (it hit the 90s for a tiny bit because it took off like a rocket). I left it on the trub for approximately 3 weeks at this temp and I do not detect any autolysis flavors. I really really highly recommend the brew bucket as its (to me at least) a gigantic step forward past plastic buckets/glass carboys.

I am currently using a 20L Speidel and really like it.

That said, I'm considering switching over to fermenting in 5 gal corny kegs (I do 3.3 gal batches) and using a spunding valve on the gas post in place of an airlock. I would cut the dip tube about 2" shorter so that I could rack the beer off the yeast cake via the liquid out post (with forced CO2) into a serving keg.

Please, inform me (us) how you harvest yeast :mug:

A couple generalities in my process that help:

* I let my wort settle out pretty good, and am able to leave behind most of the trub/hop particles/etc. in the boil kettle when I transfer to the fermenter - so I am transferring pretty clean/clear wort to begin with.

*I generally do not plan to harvest yeast off of a heavily dry hopped beer if I dry hop in the primary fermenter..... For most of my lower dry hops (1-3 ounces) I dry hop in the keg after transfer, so it negates the need to throw extra hops in the fermenter.

*I rarely use the little stainless racking arm in the fermenter anymore, and never with beers that don't have a lot of hops in the kettle. If I am transferring really clean wort, I just find I don't need the arm in there, and I can collect more beer to the keg, more easily and harvest more yeast easily. I do collect the first cup or so out of the fermenter for a gravity sample, and it usually is pulling some yeast, sediment, etc - after that - clear beer.

The process:

*Ferment beer (I keep a plastic baggie over the spigot to keep fruit flies, dust, etc. out of spigot)

*When it is time to keg/move to bottling bucket/bottle off of fermenter - Spray out spigot very good with star san.

*Remove airlock, leave lid on

*Transfer beer to keg/bucket/bottle as normal..

*I keep 2-3 clean mason jars/lids on hand. Submerge in star san while you are transferring beer.

*You will end up with some beer left in fermenter and yeast as well. When done transferring, swirl up the yeast into suspension.

*Leave the fermenter sit for a minute or two - this will let the heaviest trub/hops/etc. settle out.

*Pull mason jars out of solution, set on counter, pick up fermenter, open spigot and pour of slurry (through spigot) into 1-2-3 jars. I use pint jars and fill about 2/3 full.

*Pull caps/lids from star san and cap. Put in fridge.

I do the exact same thing with bottling buckets. i would do the same thing with Spiedel.

I am able to harvest very clean yeast in this way - more than I can reasonably use.

If brewing soon, I may not make a starter with the harvested yeast - depending on size of beer, etc.

I give my vote to plastic ale pail buckets for all standard beers. They're fairly cheap and can last a long time - they last until you scratch them so it's up to you how long they'll last. I've been brewing since 1995 and went from buckets to carboys back to buckets. I thought carboys were the way to go when I was using them but after migrating back to buckets with my new brewing knowledge, I've found them to be perfect for beer because:

-They hold a reasonable amount of beer that's not excessively heavy
-the bucket doesn't add much weight to the overall weight
-they have a handle for easy lifting
-solid interior design with no nooks and crannies
-easy to reach every part of them when cleaning
-size and shape of buckets are nice (not too fat like 6.5 carboys, and not too tall like cornie kegs, plus no extra legs/spigots/stands to waste space)
-the ale pail lids even have the fin reinforcements on the outside of the lid so you don't have to worry about getting gunk stuck around those
-Cleaning is simple with a cleaning solution and paper towel; same goes for sanitizing and a paper towel.

With your budget, you could try one out and if you don't like it you still have $485 in your budget and a bucket to carry stuff around in, or mill grain into, or catch runnings, or .... you get the picture :D

Yeah, plastic buckets are cheap and easy to clean, and that makes them attractive.

Braufessor - Little confused. From what I read, it sounds like you use the spigot on the SS brew bucket, but you have removed the racking arm internal to the bucket that usually attaches to the spigot? Do I have that right?

Might I suggest finding a deal on craigslist for a sanke keg? I have been using these to ferment in now for around 8 months and my beer has no risk of of oxidation at all anymore - I push it out with co2 into the serving keg. Of course this suggestion implies that you already have kegs and a co2 tank. If not - just disregard this post. If you do check out brewhardware.com for their sanke fitting which can be customized to your needs...
http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermentor-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

A corny would be nicer..... the large opening makes cleaning far easier........... I use ONLY wide mouth fermenters.

H.W.

I use Better Bottles and plastic Big Mouth Bubblers (PET carboys). They work well for me, I can fit two of either into my 7 CF freezers with blowoff tubes. I don't harvest yeast from my fermenters and just grow additional yeast with my starters and store it away for later.

Yeah, plastic buckets are cheap and easy to clean, and that makes them attractive.

Braufessor - Little confused. From what I read, it sounds like you use the spigot on the SS brew bucket, but you have removed the racking arm internal to the bucket that usually attaches to the spigot? Do I have that right?

Depending on how often you brew, why not just ferment in your brew kettle? Use some saran wrap over the top and a bungie cord around the outside. Of course, it would require the extra wide saran wrap. Could always move it to a secondary after a week or 10 days (ie purged keg) and let it sit for another week.
It seems like I'm constantly thinking about what is best to ferment in. I haven't seemed to find the perfect fermenter yet. Right now, I ferment in 5 gallon kegs and close transfer to serving keg, and that's fine, but I'm wanting something even simpler. I'm thinking about doing what I suggested above as a number of others do the same thing. I may even experiment with a helles this weekend, doing that...see how it turns out. Don't see why it would be any different than a bucket or carboy.

Found this today and think I'm going to go with 2 of them.

$20 for a 7.9gal bucket is hard to beat. I think I'll go this route for a bit before deciding if I need the SSbrew bucket or something else.

http://www.kegerator.com/7-8-gallon-bottling-bucket-spigot-lid/5221DKIT.html

Any thoughts?

For a FERMENTER, I would not use the bottling buckets. The bottling buckets have a spigot which may prove to be the weak link as you move into the future; plus spigots create lots of nooks and crannies for "things" (bugs) to live.

I would chose a plain old fermenter bucket with lid (6.5 Gallon or larger). I really like the Brewers Best bucket lids because they put the support fins on the outside of the lid instead of the inside like other manufacturers. These can generally be found for about ~$15 for bucket with lid.

Example of Brewers Best Ale Pail bucket fermenter and outside of lid showing fins (no fins on inside):
grommeted_lid_for_65_gallon_pail_24-5106-1.jpg

Back