New England gal looking to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

processgirl

Reaction score
I am a long time wine lover - turned beer drinker over the past 2 years and I'm really excited to start brewing.

I have a number of people that I work with who are really into brewing and have lots of fancy equipment that they trade and geek about...all for which I'm quite envious for sure... but I'm hoping to start on a really small scale for my first batch.

What would folks recommend as a setup for a first timer?

I have a number of people that I work with who are really into brewing and have lots of fancy equipment that they trade and geek about...all for which I'm quite envious for sure...

OK...first off RDWHAHB w/ the equipment envy. IMO fancy equipment will only get you good or bad beer easier!

As far as equipment, start w/ the basics, a pot and a fermenter and an extract kit. Pay attention to the simple things...now that it is summer, don't ferment too hot...keep it below 70.

Don't fear partial mash brewing or even all grain brewing...it's not nearly as hard as all the "geeks" portray it to be:mug:

To all the geeks, tell them that someone told you that a truly talented brewer could make better beer in his hat, than an average brewer w/ his blingin equipment.

What type of beer do you like or would like to brew...perhaps someone can lend a hand.

welcome from an ex-nutmeg stater. Like has been mentioned and also in all the infor on beginning brewing a good basic kit is all you really need to make great beer. I'm only on my 5th batch and find it really interesting as I'm sure you will since you've developed a taste for the good stuff. You can expand later as much as you want. read all you can and you'll do fine

Wahoo! I'm in the right spot!

I've decided to use the next few months to really research and read about the process. It was 95 degrees here and we don't have a controlled area so I'm thinking that cannot be good for a batch, right?

But the PMS i've gotten have told me that the best thing I can do to start is by really reading a lot and researching so I think that makes sense.

I really like IPAs and thats all Iw as drinking for a year, but now I'm finding that I enjoy Lagers very much. Overall, I like a beer that has a great smell and flavor with character. I started as a wine drinker and kind of evaluate beer similarly (smell, taste, finish). I used to think all beer tasted like budweiser (which makes me gag at the smell/taste) and I've had some beers now that I could just make a candle out of they smell so good.

Which do you think is a better one to start with?

Which do you think is a better one to start with?

Lagers require a lot of attention to detail and temp control. IPA is a pretty easy style, as long as you can keep in below 70 degrees. Search around here on HBT for 'swamp cooler', it's a large bucket in which you place you fermenter in a water bath to maintain temps. Very cheap and easy.
I'd go with IPA for your first brew, if that's a style you like.

Look up "swamp cooler" for fermentation temperature control. Look at the starter kits at the online sites or your local homebrew supply shop.

Get an extract kit, I like Northern Brewer's kits. They give a good description and list the ingredients. Their directions are pretty good also.

I do suggest dry yeast this time of year unless you can get liquid yeast locally. The heat is a concern when shipping liquid yeast.

Don't fear the heat. I started in July last year and have progressed through mini-mash to all grain.

Get a kit, get started, continue learning, get another kit almost right away because the first one will disappear faster than you would think.

And welcome to the obsession.. Er... Hobby.:mug:

Welcome! I live in Hamden as well! Be prepared for a serious addiction. I do all-grain brewing, started with extract, but always did full-boils. That seems to be something that greatly affects quality IMO. A full boil (meaning the whole volume in a large pot, VS a smaller pot with a partial volulme and then topping off with sterilized water), yeast starters, and fermentation temperature control. These things would be priority to me.

LOL I just realized I put my company's HQ as my location. I work way too much. I'm actually in NH. I'll fix that.

OK I will have a lot to look up this weekend, but I'll take your advice of IPA to start. My ultimate goal is to be able to make pumpkin beer by the fall... <drool>

LOL I just realized I put my company's HQ as my location. I work way too much. I'm actually in NH. I'll fix that.

OK I will have a lot to look up this weekend, but I'll take your advice of IPA to start. My ultimate goal is to be able to make pumpkin beer by the fall... <drool>

Very solid pumpkin ale recipe right here. I brewed it last year, and will be brewing it with a few tweaks this summer to have it ready by October. If you have any questions, send me or Onipar a PM. We both have some ideas how to make this year's even better. :mug:

My favorite pumpkin beer is shipyard pumpkinhead. Apparently they dont actually use pumpkin, but just spice it to taste like pumpkin pie. Funny, because I always liked it because I thought it was lightly spiced and not too sweet - a beer that reminded me of pumpkin pie rather than a thick cloying not so good beer but decent dessert idea.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/ this looks like a nice recipe too, with extract or AG.

Back