New Electric Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belgabrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to build a new brew kettle using a 16 gal keg. I want to bolt a stainless steel wort chiller inside the keggle. I do not want the wort chiller to touch or rest on the heating element. Also, I intend to "expand" the wort chiller so it will occupy at least half of the height of the keggle. That way it does not matter if I do a 5 gallon or a 10 gallon boil the wort chiller will be in the majority of the wort. The base ring of the keggle gives me clearance for the electrical connections to the water heater element.

The question I have is...Has anybody inserted the heating element from the bottom center of the keggle so it stands vertically in the wort and if so did it create any problems. Also, does anyone see a problem with that configuration.

It not a great idea from a boil efficiency standpoint and a lot of limitations, like an element box and cord sticking out the bottom. Why not just set the immersion chiller down out the element? its more than plenty strong enough to handle the weight without any issues? plenty of people do it this way and Ive never heard of a single issue from it. I even did it for the short time I used an immersion chiller.

Latest posts

Back