New Chapman Fermenter Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
Got a new Fermenter in the mail today but it’s got a seam. What would you think if you were me?

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The spot welds don't look too great either.
What is the brand?
Chapman. Never had anything from them but thought I would give them a shot. I will keep you posted on how things go.

Last edited:
Chapman had a link on their site called Howdy Brewer that I purchased from. I tried to fill out an exchange request form on their site but it would let me submit it, maybe site was having some issues.

I emailed Howdy explaining both the site issues & product issues. I emailed Chapman also explaining things and let them know I think they have some cool looking stuff with neat design and way to try it, but I need something a little less flawed. Steve Chapman responded back early this morning asking for a pic of the seam, place of purchase, & order #. I will let know how it goes.

Did you ever get your issue resolved? I just found Howdy Brewer and they have great prices, but I have never heard of them. Cant find much info either.

This outlined section of that welded seam would bother me.
It almost looks split but in any case you can definitely see the edges of the sheet...
It looks there's another such "open" seam, lower, near the bottom.
Probably due to the weld bead being ground down, and too far.

I have the feeling these containers are made from very thin material. Those puckery spot welds are testimony to that.

Ov
Did you ever get your issue resolved? I just found Howdy Brewer and they have great prices, but I have never heard of them. Cant find much info either.
Not exactly. I never could reach the Howdy Brewer guys until much later they finally responded. I contacted Chapman himself and he had another sent out through Howdy no charge or shipping charges to me which is commendable but it was in about the same condition as the first.

Overall it’s not a bad design it’s the finishing that is the problem. I ended up getting some polishing balls in multiple grits for my drill 120, 320, & 400 then got some wet sand paper in 800, 100, & 2000. I finished with magic eraser & bar keeper friend. It not perfect but I think it is ok now. But my advice is don’t risk it unless you are willing to work on it a little.

I was looking for a 13 - 15 gallon ss fermenter when I purchased this and everything was pretty expensive in that capacity and I really didn’t want something with legs. I took a gamble on this Chapman bucket from Howdy and though I guess I didn’t totally lose I probably wouldn’t do it over.

I bought some stuff on Howdy Brewer. Wasn't a great experience. Yes the prices are good, but I got three different packages. The first was less than a week (ups or fedx), but missing a pack of yeast and a bag of grain. The yeast showed up a week later (priority usps). Tried for a month to get the rest of the order completed. No response using their complaint system and/or direct email. No phone number anywhere I could find. Finally a month later, i sent one last email and was about to call the credit card company to reverse the charges and he responds to one of my emails and sends the product.
Good news, I didn't need any of what was missing, the yeast and extra grain were just that, extra, to get me over the free shipping, but still a hassle factor. Interesting everything seemed to come from different places, so I think it is a "drop-ship" shop, which I don't have a problem with. Anyway, he lost his a$$ on that order with three expensive shipments. I did get everything, at a good price, free shipping, etc. Just glad I wasn't planning to brew with any of the stuff which came late.

I like the idea of the design but the qc is bad or the real problem. Both mine came in a box that shipped from China that did not appear to have ever been opened. I had hoped they would have opened my replacement they sent to make sure is was good but they didn’t. Looking back I think my replacement was in worse shape than the first.😊 I didn’t want to get caught up in a back and forth trying for a 3rd replacement so I just took it as lesson learned.

Too bad Brewers Best doesn’t make one in this size most of their stuff I’ve seen looks good. I have a big kettle from them and it’s perfect for what it is if you can live with 201ss

Last edited:
looks Like I should just stay away from Howdy Brewer. Its to bad, they have some good prices on malt, but I don't want to deal with a hit and miss company.

Well, looks like I just got bit by Howdy Brewer as well! 😡

I ordered a 5-pack of yeast for $29.85 on Amazon. This was before I read this thread, and even so, I probably wouldn’t have noticed the vendor. Well it arrived today, and guess what; one pack of yeast instead of 5.

I have sent an email to Howdy, and we’ll see how this goes. I would have just tried to send it back, but it’s not eligible for return.

I’ll let you know how this goes.

Really bummed out. 😞

Well, looks like I just got bit by Howdy Brewer as well! 😡

I ordered a 5-pack of yeast for $29.85 on Amazon. This was before I read this thread, and even so, I probably wouldn’t have noticed the vendor. Well it arrived today, and guess what; one pack of yeast instead of 5.

I have sent an email to Howdy, and we’ll see how this goes. I would have just tried to send it back, but it’s not eligible for return.

I’ll let you know how this goes.

Really bummed out. 😞
Not sure what yeast you "bought" but Rite Brew has great dry yeast prices. Plus, if you buy 10 packs they knock off $4, which is approximately the cost of shipping. Example - I ordered ten packs of US-05 for $24.90 after the discount, plus $4.55 for first class shipping. Less than $2.95/pk to my door.

Not sure what yeast you "bought" but Rite Brew has great dry yeast prices. Plus, if you buy 10 packs they knock off $4, which is approximately the cost of shipping. Example - I ordered ten packs of US-05 for $24.90 after the discount, plus $4.55 for first class shipping. Less than $2.95/pk to my door.
It was just a 34/70 lager yeast. Price would have been comparable for 5. $29.85 for one stinks!
Hopefully, they will make it good. I can see how it happened, if they were not careful. I ordered a quantity of “1” “pack of five”. Someone just saw the quantity “1”, and didn’t look closely to see that it was a “pack of five”.

If they make it right, it’s forgivable, and I will give them a decent review.

Last edited:
I did get what appears to be an automated response to my email that my case was “under review”
I sent screenshots of my order and payment.
Hopefully it goes well for you. It took them a while before they ever responded to me. They will probably make it right just not quickly.

Latest posts

Back