New Carboy Washer Pressure Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I completed my carboy washer last night, and was gave it a whirl. I think in my head I was expecting more pressure than I got —*so I wanted people's feedback who have build their own. Here is mine in action:

http://d.pr/v/wjUd

I realize that some people get pumps that do 1200gph, while mine only does 800. That said, I also know that the original DIY article on this was using something along the lines of 300-500. I think another thing that I can change if I wanted more pressure it to reduce the amount of holes that I've punched in the cap. In reviewing the video, its clear that I really only need jets going toward the top, as the cascading water will break up any dirt in its path.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Smaller holes will create higher pressure in the jets. FWIW, I recall reading here that the volume of water/cleaning solution being cycled has the biggest impact on successful cleaning.

Smaller holes will create higher pressure in the jets. FWIW, I recall reading here that the volume of water/cleaning solution being cycled has the biggest impact on successful cleaning.

I agree with this gent...

Redrill your holes and test.

DPB

Sounds good. Luckily I bought two caps, so I will redrill this weekend. It sounds as if its more a war of attrition than anything else. I think I may lack confidence after seeing some of the incredibly powerful pumps people have purchased, but then again, the Mark II cleaner videos dont seem all that powerful.

I went through three caps trying different spray designs. Fourth one was just a 3/8" hole centered and deburred...works FAR better than the multi-hole spray head. Try it even without a cap as the flow volume and sheeting action are what cleans the carboys.

For anyone finding this thread, doing the single hole is really the best way to go. One solid stream will ensure that water cascades everywhere, and its time and exposure that is more effective than anything else.

Back