New burner and kettle...now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
After brewing ~18 extract batches on my stovetop, I am now the proud owner of a Bayou Classic burner and a 44-quart kettle. Before I make my inaugural boil, I have a few questions for those of you who have been using a similar setup.

Do I need to boil water in the new kettle first to "clean" it? I've heard new kettles can impart a metallic flavor if not "seasoned" properly. If so, how much water? How long do I boil it? Do I boil the metal fryer basket as well?

This is an SP10, so how much propane does this thing use? Is there a way to conserve without sacrificing too much efficiency?

What's the easiest way to move 3-5 gallons of hot wort from a kettle to a fermenter?

Related to above, can somebody recommend a quality wort chiller for ~$50 or less?

A initial clean won't hurt, you can use some dish soap to remove any oil if there is some. But you also don't want soap residue so a scrub with Bar Keepers Friend might be needed after that. If you see yourself using the fryer basket I'd clean that also.

I have a SP14 and get about 4 brews per tank. The key is to turn down the flame once your boil is going. It will help conserve propane and reduce the chance of a boil over when you throw hops in.

As far as moving hot wort to a fermenter. I always cool in the kettle then open my valve. Previously I used an auto-siphon but it is plastic so it won't do well in hot liquid.

You can find used wort chillers on CL depending on where you live or make your own for less than 50 depending on the size you want and what tools you have already.

If you’re boiling 3 gallons for a 5 gallon batch

You can do in immersion chillier to get it down and then empty a 10 gallon bag of ice into fermenter and pour your cooled wort on top of that should give you close to 5 gallons. Keep a gallon or 2 of cold water handy to top off

Of course this doesn’t work if you’re using carboys, I don’t

I got a stainless IC from Amazon for around $50. I would not transfer hot unless the fermentor is rated for that.

If the pot is aluminum you may want to season with boilng a few gallons before your first brew.

If you didn’t get the stainless steel option on the burner do a burn off before you put your brand new pot on it. The paint is going to burn off the frame.

Definitely rinse the pot with some type of cleaner.

does your kettle have a ball valve? if not, I would definitely recommend getting that. I am not a fan of moving 5 gallons of anything around.

I cleaned my pot with oxyclean, rinsed well and boiled about 4 gallons in it. It has a valve, so I cleaned that the same way and cycled boiling hot water through it. The pot definitely needed to be cleaned.

You don't say what kind of fermenter you're using, but if it's a glass carboy, you may shatter it by racking hot wort into it. That would ruin your day.

If it's plastic, you may melt it. I use Bigmouth Bubbler fermenters; the plastic in them is rated only to about IIRC 140 degrees. Here's a thread (cautionary tale, actually) about pouring too-hot liquid into the BMB: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bigmouth-bubbler-do-not-exceed-140f.632015/

Melted it.

I agree with cleaning/rinsing with Barkeeper's Friend before doing your initial boil.

Also, the burnoff for the propane burner will save you lots of frustration with the chemical smells of burnt paint, charring to your new kettle, etc.

Great advice about bumping the burner down once your boil starts, as the propane burner is going to go alot hotter and faster than your stove top.

If you decide to make your own wort chiller (which is a fun DIY anyway even if you only save $5), check to see if any of your pals have a tube bender, or buy a cheap set of tube bending springs. I had a couple of friends borrow them to make DIY wort chillers after I made mine (cost $9). There are plenty of tutorials to make them online, and mine works great. Bent it around a gallon sized paint can, used the spring benders to bend over the top, and all is well.

Cheers.

You defiantly want it to be clean. It doesent need to have a mirror like shine buy you dont want old hop crust or sticky caked on sugars from a month ago going into your fresh wort.

I'd also stear clear of dish soap. It will leave a thin residue that might alter your final product. The go to most use is bar keepers friend. You can pick it up at Menards and its cheep. It works great for burnt on stove tops and sinks to.

Back