New brews to try tonight....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hit the world market last weekend and bought some brews I've never had before...tonight is experiment night!

I got:

1. Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale (gotta try it and compare to MY brown ale)
2. Rogue Dead Guy Ale (heard nothing but great stuff about this brew)
3. Anchor Porter (LOVE the other Anchor brews I've had, so might as well try this one too!)

Then I'm gonna sample some of the stout that's been bottle conditioning for a week....doubt its carbonated enough but I need some..... :D

I bet yours is better than the Sam Smith's because it's fresher...why they use those darn clear bottles I'll never know.

Dead Guy. Dead Guy! Dead Guy!!!!!!

Anchor makes a great porter, but I think it is nudged out by Anderson Valley's Porter and Deschutes Black Butte Porter. Bell's is also right up there, but is almost a stout. Probably a lot more I've not had are great too. Oh, and my porter ;)

Enjoy your beers! Sounds like fun :D

Anchor porter: One of the best I've ever had. I'm a dark beer freak so I've tried a ton of them. This one ranks near the top. 5/5

Dead Guy Ale: Really liked it. I've had some good ales though and this is close to the best ones, but not quite there for me. I'd definitely buy it again but it seems extremely high priced to me, when I can get a similar tasting brew for cheaper. 5/5

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale: Good beer. I noticed a slight off-taste from all of these imports, so I'm leary of judging them without really knowing what they taste like for "real", as I think the clear bottles and the import status give them a taste that probably isn't really "true". I liked my Brown Ale better, FWIW. 4/5

Old Speckled Hen: Yikes....I must have gotten a bad one. Tasted really skunky--but by far the coolest bottle I've ever drank from. 3/5

Anchor Liberty (second try): Great beer. Great, great beer. I'm all of a sudden a huge fan of all of the Anchor beers I've tried in the past few weeks. 5/5

My stout....not carbonated enough yet....but good flavor....REAL good, nice roasted flavor and seems strong...I really liked it but I wish it had more carbonation..........4/5 (for now, it'll definitely go up!)

rightwingnut said:
How would you rate Yeungling's Porter against Anchors? That is, if you've had it.

I'd put Anchor on top. And just to prove I'm not a beer snob :) I love most of the Yeungling beers. Its about the only decent one we can ever get on tap at restaurants around here. A few places have Guinness and lately the Sammy Adams Winter Lager is out there too, so I'll order that if they have it.
So yeah, I like Yeungling's Porter but the Anchor one is such a great taste to me.

I'm hearing nothing but good about Anchor's. I LOVE the Steam beer, so I'll have to get the porter next time. I love porter these days...And, hey, I don't think liking Yeungling makes you "not a snob". I'd rate Yeungling as a first class beer.

it's actually an old beer, but one i've not had in a while...

Budweiser! in celebration of the Daytona 500!!!

w00t!

sorry, i'm a hillybilly with discerning palate, but one must imbibe the king of beers when watching nascar ;)

Got Anchor Porter. Only had one, then moved to the Hoegaarden Wit. The porter was good, but I like the Steam better. And I like Yeungling's porter better, for sure. Well, not for sure, I guess, as I only tried one of the Anchor. Maybe my opinion will change tomorrow...

rightwingnut said:
How would you rate Yeungling's Porter against Anchors? That is, if you've had it.

Anchor all the way. It's a fairly stout porter, but worlds above Yeungling. I guess I am too much of a beer snob to like Yuengling ;)

Well, I'm drinking Achor Porter again tonight...I dunno, maybe it's a bad batch...has a funny fruity flavor that I don't like. Definately Yeungling. And hey, I've got a beer rating book, by Bob Klein, I think...rates Yeungling Porter very high. Just because a beer is mass-marketed....I dunno, I just think Yengling is a great beer. Their Amber Lager, Porter, and Black and Tan. Good stuff. Oh, well.

anchor porter is really nice, as are all their beers, but the porter doesn't come close to a couple made around here, particularly an imperial porter that i love and one thats brewed once a year with a ton of coffee and served on nitro.

when i lived in cali i grew to love anchor steam, porter, and thier liberty ale, now that im on the east coast i dont buy the liberty or steam anymore, they just dont taste nearly as good. The porter on the other hand travels pretty well, and is still my fav. (igeuss cause its 6 percent and dark)

all those beers you mentioned are good...

Back