New Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterock

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Pete from Trumbull CT with a high desire to brew lots and lots of tasty beer :mug: Forgive me in adavance for my dumb drag out questions. Look foward to hearing back from all of you. :ban:

Hey Pete - my boss is from Trumbull. I'm way up Rt 8 from you in Terryville - I've done a brew here so far, and several with a buddy out in Southington.

Anyway, welcome to HBT, read up - there's TONS of good info to be had here. It's my theory that if you spend a week browsing the New Brewers section and read every "Help, is my beer ruined?" thread, that your first brew will go far more smoothly and you'll worry FAR less. So get to it!

Hey thanks stratslinger, It's always nice to know there are some locals out there. I have my first brew in primary right now (knees are a shakin)

Peterock - shaking from lifting a 45lb primary full of beer, or shaking cause you have a primary full of beer.
Because I have a primary full of beer.

What did you choose for your first brew?It's Coopers Australian Ale extract w/ 3# of munton and 2oz of cascade hops

Hey Hugh Jass, I'm really not sure what all that means but, I'm interested in steping up my equipment

Honestly Pete, I'd start w/ some extract, extract and steep, or maybe even partial mash kits to get the hang of the brewing. To get the hang of it do a couple of batches from start to drinking. Rememeber, this isn't wine. It doesn't take 6+ months to drink the product. It's more like 6-8 weeks. From there, I'd figure out what will work best for YOU. When I began, I bought things twice b/c I didn't think far enough ahead. The goal should be to only buy equipment once.

In reality, the best thing you can do is to hang around here and read the threads. Read the DIY section, general beer discussion, and the beginners section. When you don't understand something, ask or search. You'll discover there are many different ways to make beer given how much time, effort, and money you're willing to put into the hobby.

Happy brewing :mug:

When I began, I bought things twice b/c I didn't think far enough ahead. The goal should be to only buy equipment once.

Happy brewing :mug:
Thanks, I totaly understand and agree with what your saying. I'm not ready to buy any 1, 2, 3 tier brewing system..........yet LOL However like you said I really want to try and avoid buying equipment twice. Right now I'm just soaking it all in and keeping my opitions open. Call me crazy but I really don't want to do another extract batch. Am I jumping ahead?? Maybe, I want to be able to call my brew my own, Not a Clone

Thanks, I totaly understand and agree with what your saying. I'm not ready to buy any 1, 2, 3 tier brewing system..........yet LOL However like you said I really want to try and avoid buying equipment twice. Right now I'm just soaking it all in and keeping my opitions open. Call me crazy but I really don't want to do another extract batch. Am I jumping ahead?? Maybe, I want to be able to call my brew my own, Not a Clone

Any time you make beer, whether it's your recipe, another's recipe or a clone. You made it, it's yours.

My third batch was all grain. Read and understand the all grain primer if that's the course you'd like to take. Many brewers make fantastic beers using extract or extract/steeping grains. It's really up to you.

If you've been reading a bit, the thing you should have found out by now is that sanitation is the first thing you have to master. There are lots of ways to do it right (and wrong)... mainly know what will be heat sanatized (your boiled wort) and everything else getting chemical sanitized (star san or idaphor/iodine).

Bad sanitation is the first way to ruin beer, even if you did everything else right. Infact I've made 2 beers that were what I was aiming for (a belgium wit and a honey brown). But many that were drinkable even if I wanted more fruit, honey, malt or some other flavor. They were good, but again not quite what I wanted. - everyone who sampled them liked them.

I've made one with bad sanitation - it is undrinkable.

I agree with Hugh "you made it, it's yours"

Back