New Brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the forum and new to brewing. Actually to be honest I haven't even ordered my equipment yet. I was doing pricing yesterday and I will probably order it later tonight, I am mostly trying to save on shipping cost.

I am real excited about my first brew and I can't wait till I can get started. My Grandfather has been brewing as long as I can remember. I would probably use him as a resource more than this website but his english accent is so thick it is hard to follow over the phone.

I have just a few questions to ask for right now:

1. I live right in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, where I attend Georgia Tech, anyways, I was wandering if anybody on these forums knows of a local home brew supplies store in this location.

2. Since I am moving into my apartment in early august, I can't start brewing till then unless I want to try to move 50 or so bottles of beer with me :( (which I don't). So my question is will it be ok to buy my ingredients from an online store and set them aside for about a month until I move in? This leads me to my last question for now...

3. Can you guys suggest a good first brew "easy" beer? I plan to just buy a beer kit, unless you guys can suggest otherwise. I like beers such as Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Hobgoblin, and would like to brew a similar beer.

That is it for now guys, I am going to read as much from this forum as I can, and probably get a guide and read that too. I hope that it may minimize the newbie questions I will have later on when I start. I look forward to your comments, and would like to say that based on what I have read, this looks like a nice little community that I think I will enjoy being part of.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Brewing!

Only 50 bottles...how about 30 cases and 15 mini-kegs? That's about the size of my collection.

I am certain there's a local HBS (home brew store) in your area. It's Atlanta!

Any way, there are plenty of site on the web to compare prices with. I use midwestsupplies.com a lot. They are much cheaper than my local HBS even with paying the shipping if over 100 lbs. (I buy lots).

You should select a brew you want to make.

Any kit/supplies you purchase will last a while. Buying now and waiting before brewing is OK, but liquid yeast has a shorter shelf life than dry does.

I'd recommend you do some more reading/research on brewing before investing time and $$$ into supplies.

Good luck!

Hey guys I am new to the forum and new to brewing

WELCOME!

Since I am moving into my apartment in early august, I can't start brewing till then unless I want to try to move 50 or so bottles of beer with me

call us we'd be MORE than willing to help "move" those beers :D

3. Can you guys suggest a good first brew "easy" beer?

most of your all extract recipes are easy to start off with. what you'll probably want to select is one that doesn't take quite as long to mature...that way you won't be tempted to drink green beer.

Hey, I graduated from Tech in '95, IE. I used to work at Mac's Beer & Wine too, back when they were located across the street from the Cheetah. Go Jackets!

patrck17 said:
1. I live right in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, where I attend Georgia Tech, anyways, I was wandering if anybody on these forums knows of a local home brew supplies store in this location.
2. Since I am moving into my apartment in early august, I can't start brewing till then unless I want to try to move 50 or so bottles of beer with me :( (which I don't). So my question is will it be ok to buy my ingredients from an online store and set them aside for about a month until I move in? This leads me to my last question for now...
3. Can you guys suggest a good first brew "easy" beer? I plan to just buy a beer kit, unless you guys can suggest otherwise. I like beers such as Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Hobgoblin, and would like to brew a similar beer.
1. go to ***********. they have a list of HBS in the US. i'm sure Atlanta has at least one or two. i try to buy from my "local" HBS in Houston when i can. small business support! ;) if not i use www.austinhomebrew.com, www.northernbrewer.com, or www.morebeer.com. there's tons of others out there that are very good too.
2. i would wait to get my ingredients until the week i'm ready to brew, but that's just me. a can/kit of hopped malt extract will be okay for months (like Coopers, John Bull, Muntons) but i'd use fresh/pellet hops and liquide yeast to improve the kit/extract brew. you'll see a HUGE difference. just grab some empty six pack carriers and bring them with you when you move. you'll have time to drink a few before you move to help lighten the load. :D
3. stay away from high gravity (high alcohol %) and lagers. try a dry stout since you like Sam Smith's. that would be lower alcohol, dark color (no worries of clarity), and dark, roasty flavor to hide an little imperfections from a first brew. my first was a Cooper's canned extract Dark Ale, with pellet hops and White Labs liquide yeast. or a mild bitter ale or pale ale would be okay too. just remember to clean and sanitize real well and have fun!

welcome aboard!

One of the best things you can do is check out your local homebrew club. Homebrewers love to talk and I'm sure you would get some useful one-on-one information from the guys in the club. In Atlanta, try the following:

Brewmasters of Alpharetta
5360 Otter Creek Run
Cumming, GA 30040 USA
770 888 8665
[email protected]

Chicken City Ale Raisers
3635 Sinclair Shores RD
Cumming, GA 30041 USA
770-654-3314
[email protected]
www.ccarhomebrewclub.com

Back