New brewer yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I just put my second batch into the primary. It's a Brewer's Best American Ale with a package of Nottingham dry brewers yeast. I had a question about using dry yeast packets. When I pitched it into the wort (the wort was about 70 degrees) it clumped up. I stired it and got most of the clumps out, but was wondering if this is normal for dry yeast.

What kind of yeast do you all use? I've seen the liquid yeast smack packs, are they better than the dry, or does it depend on the style of beer your brewing?

Thanks for any help.

Keith

P.S. I have my first batch bottled (bottled last Saturday) and I'm dying to try it, it's killing me!

Did you rehydrate before pitching, or pitch the dry yeast directly into the wort? A little clumping is pretty normal in my experience.

The nice thing about liquid yeasts is there are tons more strains that are sutied for individual beer types. So you can pick the yeast that best suits your style. Dry yeasts tend to have a lot less strains. But they are also cheaper, and contain a lot more viable yeast then liquid types. So it's really kind of a matter of preference.

If you use dry again, rehydrate it separately before pitching in some warm water (boil it first, then let cool to ~90F). You'll be able to get rid of the clumping with a sanitized spoon and the the yeast into a nice even slurry.

Only certain yeasts can be dehydrated, so you're limited in the variety. Most dry yeast are somewhat "nuetral" ale yeasts, great for beers where the distinctive flavors come from hops or malt and yeast just converts sugar to alcohol without adding any flavors of it's own. If you're planning on brewing anything hefeweizen or something with lots of character from the yeast, then you'll have to use the liquid yeast since and equivalent dry yeast isn't available.

No need to worry about the clumps. They are normal, just let them be. As the yeast wake up they will spread out. Lots of folks here pitch Nottingham Yellow dry, without a starter, just like you did.

If you drop something and reach into that wort you need to be worried about NottiYellow fermenting your forearm down to the bone, but your beer is not ruined.

Blackhawkbrew said:
Thanks for the replys. I think I'll stick to the dry yeast that's provided in the kit and try to rehydrate next time. :mug:

You don't have to Re-Hydrate it the clumping is normal, It will go to work ASAP Notty is insane. The crappy thing about liquid yeast is if you dont make a starter, A lot of the time it lags and takes forever to get going.

Latest posts

Back