New brewer: same tea, same scoby, different taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulpadded

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a few weeks. I started with one scoby from online, and made one gallon. Since, I have made a gallon per scoby every 7 days.

The first gallon tastes good. It also had a second scoby, the original sank, so I made two gallons of tea and brewed one with each scoby.

The second week, neither batch had a new scoby. One tea, the original scoby, was very sweet, pleasant, a honey color, and the brew fairly clean without needing strained. The batch with the new scoby was much darker, like store bought caramel apple cider, much more vinegar-tasting, and a lot of sediment.

The third week, which I finished tonight, also didn't produce new scobys, though the originals are very big. Both produced very strong, very beer-tasting and malty batches. They tastes good, but nowhere near as sweet and tea-tasting.

I'm curious why this is, and how to control it. I also wonder why they aren't making new scobys.

Back